1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can cable cards operate without tivo service?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by buscuitboy, Aug 24, 2013.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I recently got a series 3 tivo off craigslist for dirt cheap. Was told it fully works and it appears to boot up fine. I want to possibly $99 lifetime it and just stick it in a guest bedroom that isn't used much.

Now, I also have a spare S-cable card i can (temporarily) use in it and was wondering if it is possible to call comcast & just pair the cable card with this series 3 and then view all channels, but not get the lifetime tivo service just yet. This way, make sure it is indeed fully working. Once all is good, then get the lifetime service.

I realize I would absolutely no TiVo features (guide and mrv) until I subscribe, but I just want to basically view some channels for now.

I also realize there is a 30 day money back with tivo in case there is a problem, but i would rather not have to possibly deal with all that and basically just make sure it is ok on my own.

Is this doable in any way?

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Not the question you asked, but are you certain of being able to get PLS for $99, and on a unit you just bought on top of that?

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The answer to your question is: Yes.

You can set up the Tivo to use a cable card without a subscription.