1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can a TiVo Premiere Series4 work without cable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by damiancabello, May 26, 2014.

1. damiancabello

damiancabello New Member

May 26, 2014
    I got a tivo for $30 at the goodwill and was wondering if it will work without cable. I tried to do it but I don't know how.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Which model exactly?

The Premiere 2 tuner models will work on OTA (antenna), analog and digital cable.

The 4 tuner models only works on digital cable.

3. damiancabello

damiancabello New Member

May 26, 2014
    On the back it says tcd746320

4. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    If you google that, you'll see that it is a two tuner model that supports OTA and cablecards.

You'll need to contact Tivo to see if it is a lifetime box or if you need to establish service on your own.

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    or set it up and check the subscription status on the system information screen.

6. damiancabello

damiancabello New Member

May 26, 2014
    Ok. The product has lifetime service.

7. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    You get the find of the year award. Nice.

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Boy, talk about beginner's luck.

If it was unsubbed and you went to buy lifetime, they'd charge you $500.

Although there's an outside chance that the unit did have Service Level 5: Product Lifetime Service at one point and somehow the owner got TiVo to move that subscription to a different box (almost never ever happens anymore), and it just hasn't connected to the TiVo, Inc. servers since then and gotten the news that the status has changed.

On the back where the model number was should also be the Tivo Service Number.

TiVo customer service can take that number and tell you the account status, 'cause the TSN is what it's tied to in their database, and when the TiVo "phones home" it reports that number to the mothership, which looks it up and tells the TiVo what the account status is and that's what the TiVo remembers until the next time it makes contact and they go through that whole process again.

If it turns out the status has changed and the lifetime was moved by the previous owner to another TiVo, it could be they had that one in service for about 3 years and could have gotten TiVo to give them (a new) lifetime on it for $99 (there are several threads around here about $99 lifetime on Series 3 and Series 4 units that people were otherwise going to cancel service on), so you could try telling a TiVo Customer Service Rep that if they give you lifetime on it for $99 it'd be the same money as they would have gotten if the previous owner had done it and you'd paid more for the set up front.

9. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Or as I've already said, just set up the tivo - it connects to tivo in the process which updates the account status. you don't even have to actually do the set up process, you can just force a daily connection. The OP has probably already done this.

10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

I'd rather know in advance before letting it connect whether that's going to change what it thinks its status is--that way I could use it for awhile to see if I liked it enough to pay the monthly or try for the $99 version of lifetime.

11. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

How do you use a tivo for a while w/o getting guide data or setting it up for your signal source?