1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can a mini coexist with a Series 3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by buscuitboy, May 23, 2013.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere, but I am assuming a mini can't interact at all with a Series 3 Tivo, correct? I'm thinking mainly because a Series 3 can only do multi-room "transferring" and not "streaming". Is this about right or can the mini interact with a Series 3 somehow in another way?

I have a few Series 3 lifetimes that are basically just being used as cable boxes in a basement. Not heavily used, but I do use their storage to record some shows. Free up space on my main level Premieres. Then multi-room transfer as needed over my (hard wired) home network.

If I had a 4-tuner Premiere and mini in my set-up, the mini would not then be able to view ANY material recorded on any of the Series 3, right? I realize I could probably "transfer" content from a Series 3 to a Premiere and then "stream" it from the Premiere to a mini, but is there maybe some other functions the mini can do with a Series 3?
  2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    You're correct. The Mini is strictly a streamer, and the Series 3's don't stream. I haven't tried it but I don't know of any other functions that a Mini/S3 together could perform directly.
  3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator TC Club

Apr 17, 2000
    You can't access a S3 from a Mini at all. It's grayed out at the bottom of the My Shows list on the Mini.
  4. Austin Bike

Austin Bike New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    I did this with my Tivo HD:

Work ok for now, still need a little fine tuning.
  5. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Yeah, you'd have to copy to the Premiere, and then stream to the Mini.