1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Just a note that the site indexes are still building. Until they are done, anything that uses search will be affected such as normal search, post history, etc. It works from the oldest post first and is building forward in time. We could have waited for it all to be done, but hey, who uses search anyway? :)
    Dismiss Notice

can a mini coexist with a Series 3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by buscuitboy, May 23, 2013.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere, but I am assuming a mini can't interact at all with a Series 3 Tivo, correct? I'm thinking mainly because a Series 3 can only do multi-room "transferring" and not "streaming". Is this about right or can the mini interact with a Series 3 somehow in another way?

I have a few Series 3 lifetimes that are basically just being used as cable boxes in a basement. Not heavily used, but I do use their storage to record some shows. Free up space on my main level Premieres. Then multi-room transfer as needed over my (hard wired) home network.

If I had a 4-tuner Premiere and mini in my set-up, the mini would not then be able to view ANY material recorded on any of the Series 3, right? I realize I could probably "transfer" content from a Series 3 to a Premiere and then "stream" it from the Premiere to a mini, but is there maybe some other functions the mini can do with a Series 3?
  2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    You're correct. The Mini is strictly a streamer, and the Series 3's don't stream. I haven't tried it but I don't know of any other functions that a Mini/S3 together could perform directly.
  3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator TC Club

Apr 17, 2000
    You can't access a S3 from a Mini at all. It's grayed out at the bottom of the My Shows list on the Mini.
  4. Austin Bike

Austin Bike New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    I did this with my Tivo HD:

Work ok for now, still need a little fine tuning.
  5. Bigg

Bigg New Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Yeah, you'd have to copy to the Premiere, and then stream to the Mini.