1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camcorder to TiVo for Swim Analysis

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sport trainer, Dec 31, 2012.

1. sport trainer

sport trainer New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    I'm a swimming coach and want to hook my video camera into my TiVo to record swimmers live but have an automatic 30 second loop playback so they can review their technique.

Can anyone help me out with how to get the TiVo to do this and what cables I need?

2. Jan 1, 2013 #2 of 11
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You cannot even hook up a camera with today's Tivo models (Series 3, Premiere). You would have to go back to the Series 1 or 2, hook up the yellow/white/red and setup for satellite with input activity.

3. Jan 1, 2013 #3 of 11
    sport trainer

sport trainer New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Is there a way to do it on a series 3 with a RCA adapter and coax cable into the input?

4. Jan 1, 2013 #4 of 11
    Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Nope - From series 3 onwards, they do not have any input other than antenna or cable.

There are plenty of alternatives though.

5. Jan 1, 2013 #5 of 11
    Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    If your camcorder has an RF output (like a VHS or 8mm or Hi8 used to have), you could run that into the antenna input on the TiVo and tune to channel 3 or 4. If you don't have RF out (most modern cameras do not) then you could plug the RCA outputs into an old VCR (setting it to line in/AV in), then run the RF output from the VCR into the TiVo's antenna input and tune to channel 3 or 4. You could also pick up an RF modulator (they sell them at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc.) and connect the AV out of the camera to that, then run the coax to the TiVo and tune to channel 3 or 4.

There is always a way to make video devices talk, but it isn't always easy.

6. Jan 1, 2013 #6 of 11
    sport trainer

sport trainer New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    I tried to do this through a series three...but couldn't get it to work. I had the RF Modulator, then connected the co-ax cable into the cable unput and then tried the antenna input. The TiVO just goes through its setup and I couldn't get it to recognize the camera as an input.

7. Jan 1, 2013 #7 of 11
    sport trainer

sport trainer New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    What alternatives would you suggest?

8. Jan 1, 2013 #8 of 11
    Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    You should have already gone through setup using an antenna. If not, just pick any lineup that has a channel 3 or 4. Go to live TV and tune channel 3 or 4 and whatever is plugged in through the RF modulator should appear.

9. Jan 1, 2013 #9 of 11
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    You need to use the antenna input, and you need to set up the TiVo to use the antenna in the guided setup. If the unit is to be used for CATV service as well as the camcorder, then you need to tell the TiVo it is going to be used for both OTA and CATV reception. After the guided setup is done, then you need to run a channel scan. This is precisely how I set up my roommate's DVD for her. I ran its composite output to a modulator and then ran the RF feed from the modulator to the TiVo.

Note some modulators squelch their RF output if no video is present, so you may need to make sure there is live video on the modulator's input (via the camcorder or whatever) when you run the channel scan. The modulator will show up as 3 - ant (or 4 - ant) and the CATV channel will show up as 3 - cbl (or 4 -cbl). The channel scan can be done any time you want, but the inputs can only be specified during a guided setup. Both must be done, however, in order for the TiVo to know where the OTA channels are to be found. In this context, the modulator is an analog OTA channel as far as the TiVo is concerned.

If you are going to receive both OTA signals and input from the camcorder, then you need to install a two-way splitter with the input facing the TiVo. Attach the feed from the antenna to one output of the splitter and the RF feed from the modulator attached to the camcorder to the other. Then have the TiVo perform a channel scan. All the local channels plus the camcorder on ch3 or ch4 will show up.

10. sport trainer

sport trainer New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it and am going to give it a try. Happy New Year!

11. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    FWIW, I got digital camcorder footage (originally avi format) onto my TiVo HD from my PC with the free TiVo Desktop software. It worked pretty well for analysis of baseball batting mechanics.