1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caller-id not working

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by bhudson33, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1 of 22
    bhudson33

bhudson33 New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Ran the Zipper script on my drive...followed all the amazingly
    easy instructions provided by Gunnyman and rbautch (Thanks
    guys). Got the new the splash screen (so something worked).

When I made a call to my phone, caller-id didnt show
    up on the tv. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
    -Bill.

2. Jan 9, 2006 #2 of 22
    austin61

austin61 New Member

Jun 2, 2005
    Starting with the basics. You do have a phone line connected and are subscribing to caller id with you phone company, right?

3. Jan 9, 2006 #3 of 22
    bhudson33

bhudson33 New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    yes, sorry I should have said that......

for clarification, caller-id works on my phones, but nothing
    on the TV/Tivo....

Thanks in advance
    -Bill.

4. Jan 9, 2006 #4 of 22
    bhudson33

bhudson33 New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Gunnyman? Anyone?

Is there a setting or something I am missing?

-Bill.

5. Jan 9, 2006 #5 of 22
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    there's a thread on it round here someplace..
    check there, and if you exhaust everything in the thread you may have one of the units that doesn't support caller ID.

6. WhyMe

WhyMe New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Just for future searchers, my caller-id wasn't working on either of my Phillips drs7000's with verizon as my carrier. Just switched over to Time Warner Digital phone and poof its up and working. Not sure if the verizon signal wasn't strong enough for tivo modem to pick up or what. Somebody suggested to try a line straight from the phonebox to tivo but I never tried it. Just glad mine is working :)

Michael

7. Tivogre

Tivogre Active Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Are you using ONE, or MULTIPLE zippered Tivos on your network?

If you have more than one, you will need to edit a couple of files on all but ONE of the boxes.

"Out of the box", the Zipper sets up the Tivo running nicdd (the caller-id server) AND nicd (the caller id client). This is what you want for ONE box, but causes problems if you have multiple "servers" active on the same network.

**** Suggestion for the Zipper Authors****

Add an additional question during the Zipper process, if caller ID is being installed:

Is this box a CID server?

If answered yes, add the line to rc.sysinit.author that runs niccd as is.

If answered NO, comment out that line with an explaination in the file. Then ask for the IP address of the SERVER Tivo and set as Host in ncid.conf

***** End suggestion *****

To fix your issue (if this is indeed your problem), you will need to edit your rc.sysinit.author file on all but ONE box to comment out the line that starts the server (nicdd). On these same boxes, you will need to edit line #11 in the ncid.conf file to set the Host = the IP address of the single SERVER box.

You will only need a phone line connected to the one SERVER Tivo.

Hope this helps!

8. sandpj

sandpj New Member

Feb 9, 2004
    Houston
    I have multiple Tivo's running NCID without a problem. However, I have two units without a phone connection and tried your advice to comment out the NCID line in the author file and set the IP in ncid.conf to one of the Tivo's with a phone line.

Caller ID works, but it is way too slow to be useful. The number shows up after five or more rings whereas it shows up on the second ring on the Tivo's with a phone connection. The Tivo's are connected via wireless; could that be causing ther delay?

Thx...Paul

edit: Should both lines relating to CID be commented out in the author file?

9. bhudson33

bhudson33 New Member

Dec 20, 2004
    caller-id is working fine now.....

apparently it just need another reboot, for whatever
    reason, I do not know.....

-Bill.

10. Tivogre

Tivogre Active Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Springfield, VA

You should only comment out the line that starts ncidd (the server)

ncid (the client) is required on all the boxes.

11. sandpj

sandpj New Member

Feb 9, 2004
    Houston
    I tried leaving the author file with the ncid lines not commented out and it seems to be working. The only change was to the ncid.conf file IP address.

Thx..Paul

12. rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Good suggestion. Thanks.

13. WhyMe

WhyMe New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    I guess I spoke to soon, after the wed. reboot it quit working. What can I check to see if it is running. Will ps tell me? Thanks Michael

14. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Yes ps will show both ncidd and multiple threads for tivocid.

I've found that ncidd will sometimes stop responding to new calls after the TiVo tries to call home (to DirecTV, not TiVo since fakecall stops that). I guess they collide on the modem port and sometimes ncidd doesn't recover.

15. WhyMe

WhyMe New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    I dont see either under ps, what command from telnet to get it running to try. Thanks

16. WhyMe

WhyMe New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    What folder is the program stored in, I havent been able to find it.

17. WhyMe

WhyMe New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    I guess my var/hack file got wiped, did a uninstall and rezipper and all is back. I had lost TWP and caller id still had telnet. thanks

18. dkchandler

dkchandler New Member

Jan 20, 2006
    USA
    Does anyone know the location of the file that calls out2osd to actually display the caller id on the screen??? I would like to change the output, maybe add "Incoming transmission from:" Bob Smith 501-555-1212

Thanks,
    DC

19. merlincc

merlincc Bonafide Tivophile

Nov 5, 2001
    Stillwater, MN
    Look for ncidd.alias. Mine is in /var/hack/etc/ncid. Instructions are in the file.

20. blueshoo

blueshoo el guapo

Jun 11, 2001
    Old Dominion
    Earlier today apparently my 2 DTiVo's (1 HDVR2 and 1 704) both stopped capturing the Caller ID info (ciddata.log knew line was ringing, just didn't have any CID info). Both had been working fine for a couple weeks, since the day I had Zipper'd them. Restarting the tivocid processes didn't seem to have an effect, but then restarting both that and the ncidd brought back the Caller ID info.

Seems like it may have been due to something like what you're describing above. Any way to check it and/or avoid it in the future?