1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caller ID and Screensaver?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by turbobuick86, Apr 20, 2010.

1. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 New Member

May 2, 2002
    One or both of these possible to enable? Both would be at little cost to include. Don't see them in the menu's, any magic key codes? My first HD STB had caller ID in 2000. Really handy when watching the tube and the phone isn't near.

2. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
  3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  4. lastdeadcat

lastdeadcat 22 years in Alaska

Mar 14, 2005
    Duvall, WA
    With the demise of the landlines in many homes and the connection of Tivoes to home networks for service, I doubt that feature will ever come about. My TiVoes have never been connected to a phone line, except the first ones that needed a phone connection to set up the network.

We have an Info Sphere or Globe from Radio Shack that flashes caller ID info from the landline. It's on the table near the TV. There's also a cordless phone usually with in reach for calls on the line and cell phone for wireless calls.

As for a screensaver, there's one. It's called live TV, with it defaults to after a period of time if its not in play mode. Also modern TV's don't neet screensavers with the possible exception of Plasma TVs. LCD and newer CRT TVs don't get the burn-in screensavers were designed to prevent. I don't know about DPLs, but live TV will take care of them and the plasmas.

5. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 New Member

May 2, 2002
    Thanks, Steve. Many good suggestions already there. Strangely, caller ID isn't mentioned. Was hoping it was buried in a menu somewhere. I can get another separated caller ID box for the home theater room. Often times during movies the room is very dark and very loud. The number on the screen is sometimes the only way to know the phone is ringing. =)

Guess I was spoiled with Directv's dvr in some regards. Screensaver makes it nice not have to worry about burn in or where and how long you freeze the picture. Couple small things that make watching the boob tube more convenient.

6. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Caller ID is available, but not on a stock TiVo. If you are really interested, I suggest you go to the "other" TiVo forum. Personally, I hate the feature, so even though my TiVos are not stock, I don't implement the feature.

7. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'd hate to have them spend resources on this, I don't even have a landline..

8. ascuser

ascuser New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Are landlines really that uncommon these days? I feel old.
    Admittedly my Tivo isn't connected to it, but I figured most people still had them at least.

9. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm no spring chicken, and in my social circle 65% of my friends do not have a landline anymore, but they are a technologically forward group.

Diane

10. Resist

Resist New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Yes new features are great but I would rather have Tivo fix the bugs with the old features.

11. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    instead of that, just get a cordless handset. Not only does it show the caller ID, you can answer the call (or not) from the same unit.

12. blacknoi

blacknoi Member

Jan 23, 2006
    I wish they implemented the callerID feature, but considering the new premier unit doesn't have a separate RJ11 jack anymore, I'm guessing this request is officially DOA.

13. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    Our landline phone comes from the cable company. And the cable company DVR's can display the caller ID information, directly from the cable feed (no phone jack connected).

14. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
  15. TWinbrook46636

TWinbrook46636 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    When you get a telemarketing call from Al's Window Cleaning Service an ad for Windex can pop up! :p

16. blacknoi

blacknoi Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Yea, but thats using the cableco's private network that your cable box STB and cablemodem w/voice share... thats why you don't need any phone cord.

How would you get any and every home phone line solution (POTS and VoIP solutions) fed to the tivo? via the internet? I don't think such a solution could exist... just too many external possibilities.

The cablecompany implementation is all on their network so its easy.

The easiest way for Tivo to implement a "one size fits all" caller ID solution would be to just decode standard caller ID info, as fed in from the RJ11 input.

17. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 New Member

May 2, 2002
    Interesting responses.

I've obviously become accustomed to Directivo/Directdvr and realize I have some adapting to do. Caller ID, screensaver, space available meter, etc. and while none of those are critical, were very nice conveniences that I now miss.

The users here are more technically into using tivo as much more than a dvr and that's great, but for the general population, simple and functional is better.

I bought my first Tivo in 2000, huge box, reminescient of the original VCR's. Still have it, but became a customer/fan with Directv and their partnership with Tivo a year later.

Still a tivo fan, but no longer wish to be associated with Directv, so here I am.

18. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Probably not much. The only thing is. Land line phones for HOME use are dying. Just last year use of cell phones as the ONLY phone line for a home has now surpassed land based phone lines.

This doesn't account for vonage and other VoIP phone lnes. We are talking straight pure land based phone lines coming from Ma Bell, or your cable
    provider.

I haven't had a land based home phone line now for the last 6 years. Why? I get free mobile to mobile, Fee nights & weekends & holidays, Long distance to any of the 50 states no extra fee & 1200 min to be shared between 3 phones per month. All for LESS than I can get a land line for. I have also accumulated over 9000 roll over minutes as well.

In another 5 years. Land lines for home phones (Other than VoIP) will die out completely. IMHO.

So how would one implement caller ID for your cell phone anyways?

Oh... and screensavers? Are only needed if you have an older plasma TV. All the newer plasmas have screensavers built in, or are "Burn in Proof". DLP TV's don't need screensavers, neither do LCD's.

TGC

19. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    TiVo eliminated the phone jack on their newest DVR so I can't see them adding that feature to older units.

Caller-id would also encourage use of phone connectivity, which TiVo doesn't want. Phone connectivity requires TiVo to pay extra for dial-up Internet access. At one point, more than $1/mo of the monthly subscription fee went to dial-up ISPs.

With the Premiere, TiVo extended the timeout on all screens from 5 minutes to 15 minutes. TiVo Series3 and TivoHD users could see that change later this year.

20. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Well NOW that the NEW Premier units have BLUETOOTH capability. Who knows what will be in the works later. I mean... the new keyboard remote that will be coming soon will be communicating with the Premier units via Bluetooth. So I am sure that it wouldn't be too hard to add other bluetooth functionality as well.

I also pretty sure that someone will come up with a program that will run on our computers &/or phones that will control the TiVo via Bluetooth as well. Although currently this can be done via Wifi/Networking.

The new Premier units will SOON be able to support 3rd party APPS. So I would NOT be surpised that someone will come up with an APP that will make use of caller ID via your bluetooth phone.

Although I haven't seen any actual specifications as to what bluetooth the premiers are implementing.

As far as the older S3's, HD, HDXL's, S1 & S2 units. Since they don't have bluetooth capability. Then I would say it will NEVER happen with THOSE units.

TGC