1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cablevision and Tivo question

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by brn2rnjk1, Oct 13, 2012.

1. brn2rnjk1

brn2rnjk1 New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    We have 2 Tivo Series 2 boxes. One is dying and we will need to replace. Is there a way to get HD Tivo without a Cablecard and use my box? I thought Cablecards were being phased out which means go with Cablevision DVR (which I don't want) or stay with Series 2. Thanks.

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Cable cards are not being phased out. Cable companies are required by the FCC to offer them.

3. blacknoi

blacknoi Member

Jan 23, 2006
    I have 2 tivo HDs on Cablevision NJ as well as an HD HomeRun Prime, all with cablecards.

If you buy a tivo HD / premier, you can just go to a walkin center and ask for a cablecard, they are $2/month to rent in my area.

I have rarely had issues due to the cablecards.

Most recently I had to replace my hard drive and had to call back in to re-pair the card to the Tivo. Other than that, I can't even remember the last time I had a cablecard issue.

Cablevison is in the middle of phasing out their remaining analog channels so even if you only used analog today, you'll only get some unencrypted programming after the remaining analogs are shut off. Plus w/o a cablecard, unencrypted QAM channels don't get guide data.

http://optimum.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/389/kw/do i need a box/related/1

4. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    I am also with Cablevision NJ and I have never had a problem with the cablecards. I have 2 in the S3, 2 in the HD (don't ask) and 1 Mcard in Happauge's Win DVR. All work great.

5. mlear

mlear New Member

Dec 14, 2002
    I also have cablevison in nj (Piscataway) and I've noticed a problem where the TiVo starts recording channels in the 1000's. It sort of sticks to that channel and sometimes it ties up a tuner.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that.

6. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    I have not noticed that, I thought the channels in the 1000's were for SD. I unchecked all SD channels from my Tivo to get the guide more focused.

7. snowjay

snowjay 40mph couch potato

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    I have Cablevision in NY and have had an S3 with cablecards since 2006. I've never had an issue with the cards. Back then it required a truck roll to install the cards but they have been available at the walk-in centers for at least a year now.