1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cablevision and FiOS for TiVos

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by artinnj, Aug 10, 2014.

1. artinnj

artinnj New Member

Aug 7, 2014
    See a lot of messages about switching from Cablevision to FiOS, but was wondering if anyone has tried running their TiVos on Optimum and Internet from FiOS at the same time? Can they work over the same coax in your house?

I use my TiVo Minis over MoCA with Verizon today and hear that Cablevisison does not support MoCA routing. Would prefer not to run ethernet to all the Minis I have today. Cablevision still offers slower internet speeds than Verizon does.

The reasons for going to Cablevision are they still offer CableCARDS while Verizon refuses to issue new ones. Cablevision also offers HBO GO and similar access to premium channels without having to buy the full subscription, saving about $10/month per premium channel. Those saving on all the movie channels alone would pay for the separate Double Play subscription.

Is anyone running a similar setup in there house today?

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I really don't think that's true. I know that's what the CSR told you, but you're the first and only person to report this, and it would be an extremely big deal if it did happen. We'd be seeing it all over tech blogs, etc. I advise you to keep playing CSR roulette until you get someone semi-competent.

To address your question: I think it should be possible to mix MoCA Internet from one provider with TV from another over the same line, yes.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Agreed 100% Verizon getting out of the CableCARD business would be huge, and so far only the OP has heard of it, most likely via a misinformed CSR.

There's one version of that where I think it wouldn't work, FiOS for the TV's and STB's and internet from Cablevision since FiOS would need MOCA on the wire for their boxes (if the user had any in addition to the Tivo units)

4. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    And didn't someone tell the OP to just order his cable cards online from Verizon?

5. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    When we signed up with FiOS TV in May, there was no option to order Cablecards when starting new TV service - you had to call customer service. Once you have service, you can order Cablecards online (through the "Add or Return a box" option).

The CSR probably heard something about the Cablecard requirement in STBs being dropped from STELA and somehow spun that into "no new Cablecards."