1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Just a note that the site indexes are still building. Until they are done, anything that uses search will be affected such as normal search, post history, etc. It works from the oldest post first and is building forward in time. We could have waited for it all to be done, but hey, who uses search anyway? NOTE...The site will be slower until this is all done!
    Dismiss Notice

CableCards - moving a Tivo from one house to another

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by smbaker, Oct 13, 2012.

1. smbaker

smbaker New Member

May 24, 2003
    Let's say you have two Tivo Premiere's, both on comcast, both with cablecards.

You want to move them from House A to House B in the same city. Will they work at the new location without having to be immediately re-paired to the new service?

Obviously, they'll stop working if/when the old service is terminated. The goal isn't to use them without paying for cable service, just to temporarily migrate them.
  2. dstoffa

dstoffa New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    My gut tells me no, unless they are on the same service node. I don't know much about it, but have friends who work for a cable company. I have been told that in today's digital encryption age, they know when you move a box from house to house because of all the pairings and two-way communication.

Your cable-card will be talking to another node, and that other node may think the device is stolen, and shut down....

3. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    My cable company registers three numbers in their system when they pair the card and the box. They are CableCard S/N (won't change), Host ID and Data number. If those last two don't change at the new location then it should work.
  4. Larry M

Larry M New Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Comcast told me that your Comcast account number is for a specific address, not for a person. That account number will change if you move. I don't know if that matters in your case, but I would think that your cable card would have to be repaired since you will get a new account number at your new address. Better to just call Comcast and they can tell you what you have to do.

5. Johnwashere

Johnwashere New Member

Sep 17, 2005
    I bet you will be ok if you move the tivo to a different house in the same city. You will probably need at least standard cable service at the new place for everything to work properly :)
  6. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    This would work if you did not cancel cable service at the old home and the new home had cable going into the home, BUT the billing address would be incorrect and if the people who moved into the old home added their own cable yours would be canceled for that address, you would normally just move your cable service to the new home and all should work great if the cable line into the new home is OK itself. Call Comcast.
  7. smbaker

smbaker New Member

May 24, 2003
    This is what I was afraid might happen. Probably something best avoided.

Is that what people would normally do during a move? I'm in a somewhat unique situation in that I need Internet service available at both homes for a short duration. The TV isn't quite as important.