1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CableCard or Tuning Adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by k2ue, Nov 4, 2012.

1. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    I just replaced a Premiere with an XL4, and now if I step up thru the SDV channels I eventually reach a point where channels come up totally blank -- no error message, nothing. Typically it is every other channel -- if I go up one from a channel that works, or an odd number, no picture; up two or even, it usually works.

Does this sound like a CableCard issue, or a Tuning Adapter issue. SA card and adapter on TW Rochester.

2. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    I assume everything worked as expected on the regular Premiere?
    I hear the 4 tuner Premieres are more sensitive to signal strength and noise levels. Signal has to be split 4 ways instead of 2. On the T/A diagnostic screen, check the SNR level. I think it should be over 30. FDC should be no more than +/- 10. Closer to 0 the better. If those are out of range, call TWC to clean up the signal on the coax.

3. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    The FDC was looking like -15, so I added a 15dB amp (with a reverse channel) and SDV acquisition seems faster now -- we will see how it goes over time.

4. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I know this is going to sound dumb and I didnt take the time to look it up but do you need 4 cable cards (two multistream) for the 4 tuner Tivo?

5. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    No, a M card can support 6 tuners.