1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CableCARD issues with Series 3 After FiOS Upgrade to MPEG4

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rcbrooks719, Mar 19, 2013.

1. rcbrooks719

rcbrooks719 rickcb1066

Mar 19, 2013
    I have a CableCARD from FiOS in a TCD612560 Series 3 box. FiOS is upgrading to MPEG4 April 15 which will apparently knock out several on my premier channels. Is there any answer to this issue?
  2. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    The problem is not the CableCARD. The problem is an inability of the Series 3 software to properly record the mpeg-4 video. There is no remedy, other than a software update by Tivo, which is highly unlikely, and honestly, will never happen.

You have the following options: deal with the lost channels, upgrade to a Tivo Premiere, or drop Tivo entirely for the Verizon equipment.
  3. rcbrooks719

rcbrooks719 rickcb1066

Mar 19, 2013
    yes, aware its not the card, its the incompatibility of the TiVo box with the mpeg4 format. i am assuming it is not just recording the video, but would impact live viewing as well?
  4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    Since "live" TV is actually coming from the recorded live buffer, that would indeed be the case.
  5. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural New Member

Feb 2, 2006
    I don't think the issue is with recording but rather playback. The Tivo is just recording a digital data stream to the hard drive so it doesn't care what format it's in. Playback is the problem because Tivo doesn't provide the proper codecs for decoding of mpeg4 files. Live TV suffers from the same problem. The data stream is being buffered, but simply cannot be decoded for playback.

This is one of the reasons I left Tivo and switched to Windows Media Center. I'm on FIOS and shouldn't have any issues with the transition to mpeg4. My cablecard tuners should have no issues with recording the broadcast signal as described above. The only thing I need to do is make sure I have the proper codecs installed for playback and I'm good to go. There's a highly regarded codec pack from Shark007 that handles playback of just about any format you choose in WMC. I can already play mpeg4 files so it shouldn't be any problem for me.

Tivo may require either a software update or new hardware to handle the transition. If it's a software change then it's just a matter of when Tivo will get it done and distributed to Tivos in the wild, which could be next week or next year based on Tivo's track record. If it's a hardware issue, current Tivo owners are going to be SOL.