1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CableCARD Encryption

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Marconi, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Marconi

Marconi TiVo Junkie

Sep 8, 2001
    Page, AZ USA
    What determines the type of encryption used by a CableCARD? Is this something that's locked in at the factory or is it something that can be selected by the cableco when configuring?

I've seen CableCARD Conditional Access screens with
    Encryption: DES
    and
    Encryption:C CSA

Can any given card be configured for DES or C CSA or is this something that's locked in at manufacture?

2. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    What was the manufacturer of each one? I would venture a guess that one was a Motorola and one was a Cisco/Scientific Atlanta

3. Marconi

Marconi TiVo Junkie

Sep 8, 2001
    Page, AZ USA
    Both are Motorola MediaCipher M-Cards. Externally, they appear identical.

4. Marconi

Marconi TiVo Junkie

Sep 8, 2001
    Page, AZ USA
    So, no one knows whether a card configured for CSA can be switched to DES or vice-versa? I'd have thought it was part of the firmware, but maybe the decoder itself is a dedicated chip in the card. That would make sense.

I have seven M-cards that were pulls from Cisco and Scientific Atlanta STBs but the cards themselves are Motorola MediaCipher and are for CSA decryption. I bought them hoping to save myself the cost of multiple card rentals each month but, while my cable provider uses Moto MediaCipher M-cards, they use DES encryption so these cards are probably useless to me.

5. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    You generally cannot use purchased CableCards. Almost all cable companies will require you to use a cable card they provide.

I did some digging and it appears CSA is used on DVB systems--mostly Europe.

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Do not attempt to escape the control of Big Brother. As punishment he may require you to use a Tuning Adapter!

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Unfortunately the authors of the Geneva Conventions never foresaw the possibility of anything as inhumane as TAs.