1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable signal and snr too strong. Huh?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lreinstein, Oct 22, 2013.

1. lreinstein

lreinstein Member

Nov 16, 2007
    In the midst of installing my new ROAMIO pro. TiVo service asked me to tell him signal strength and SNR for a few channels. They were 99% and 39 or 40db

He told me to call my cable service and have him weaken the signal... That it is too strong for the TIVO.

CAN anyone explain this? Should I do that?

Thanks

Larry

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I don't know if anyone can explain why, but it has come up in the past that too strong a signal can cause problems.

Some people have reported such here, but their signal strengths were 100%, possibly even hotter. It was suggested to those users that they attenuate their signal, which subsequently helped with the problem.

I would say if you don't have any problems, don't worry about it, but keep an eye out.
    It won't hurt anything if you try this, you can just undo it. It's really not something the cable company has to do, you can do it yourself if you are concerned about a service charge from the cable co.
    You can buy the attenuator, from say Amazon, and install it on the cable going to the Tivo.

3. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I had this problem and had to add some lost to the signal with an attenuator. It made a big difference.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Signal strength of 99 should not be a problem. Are you saying you had this problem with a signal strength less than 100?

SNR=40 dB is unusually high but should be no problem at all if the signal strength is less than 100.

That said, attenuators are so cheap and easy to deploy that ... why not try them?

5. lreinstein

lreinstein Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Thanks.

What symptoms should I be on the lookout for?..

All seems working now ...with one exception!

About half the channels that used to be in HD are now showing in SD? Can this be related?

Or what would cause this?

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Are they really SD, or are they HD channels showing with the wrong aspect ratio? Not sure about Roamio's but there will be a setting for controlling aspect ratio.

7. lreinstein

lreinstein Member

Nov 16, 2007
    They are really SD.

Larry

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...