1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cable modem/gateway and router

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Malguy, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Malguy

Malguy New Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Wa.
    Hi,

Sorry if this topic has been covered, I searched for an answer but could not find one. If you know of a thread that covered this topic, please let me know.

I will be receiving my basic Tivo Roamio on Thursday and plan on connecting to the internet wirelessly. I currently have a cable modem/gateway supplied by Comcast, but am wondering if that will provide a strong enough signal to connect my Tivo, or if I should invest in a wireless router. The Tivo will be located about 20 or 30 feet from the modem/gateway which is in a spare bedroom, so there are walls that may block the signal. My phone is currently connected through the modem/gateway and the signal fluctuates between “good” and “excellent”, depending on where I am in the house, it’s “good” in the living room where the Tivo will be located.

Thanks for your input.

Pete :confused:

2. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Should be fine, the gateways I have used with internet providers have provided good signal strength with the TiVo Wireless-G adapter and Linksys WGA600N ethernet to Wi-Fi adapter.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Why not hardwire? Its normally worth it, especially if you are looking to use any of the features other than just DRV fuctions (netflix, streaming between boxes, ect).