1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable Cards and New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Scott2323, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Scott2323

Scott2323 Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Hello,

My dads Tivo HD(652) had the ext. drive die and I ordered a new 2TB drive from WeaKnees. My question is with Frontier FIOS do I leave the CableCard in when I put in the new Hard Drive and boot it up? Or do I take out the Cablecard and run Guided Setup and after that is finished put the CableCard in?

Thanks for any help,

Scott2323

2. jtmal0723

jtmal0723 New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Pennsauken,...
    Leave the CableCARD in to be sure that Host ID's and such don't change.

3. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    New drive new data for the cable card, even a C&D all will require the cable card be re-paired by the cable co.

4. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    I suspect that it may depend on the cable company to some extent. I put a new drive in my P2 (came pre-imaged) and never had an issue with the CableCard. Did have to reboot it once to get rid of the "HW mismatch" error that occurs because the drive TSN didn't match the MB TSN.

5. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    will they change if the drive is external?

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Since it's going to be a 2TB drive, it won't be an internal.

But if the external dies and you're going to not replace it but put in a big internal, what you do is disconnect the external, boot the TiVo, divorce the external, then copy the internal to the new big drive (and in this model expand with jmfs), and the cable card pairing will be copied over from the old internal to the new big internal along with everything else except recordings made after the external was added.

As far as I know all the stuff like card pairings, your zip code, what your cable lineup is, which over the air channels you get, your season passes and thumb ratings, and all those settings you set are and will be on the internal, and the only thing on an external is pieces of shows, the other pieces of which are on the internal due to the anti-"take the external somewhere else and copy the shows" scheme they use.