1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable Card Required?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by pardoal54, Oct 15, 2012.

1. pardoal54

pardoal54 New Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Hey folks. I am thinking of getting rid of Dish Network. My current cable provider carries the internet and tv signal on the same cable. That tv signal has analog channels, digital channels and a handful of HD channels with no cable box attached. When plugging the cable from the cable company that provides my internet service, I get all of the channels listed above on my tv. Will I still have to get a cable card for the Tivo unit in order to get the same channels? Thanks AP

2. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    Give us more info:
    Cable Co, someone here may be able to help.

3. pardoal54

pardoal54 New Member

Oct 15, 2012
    located in Virgina, cable provider is Metrocast.

4. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    You'd be able to tune those channels without a cable-card, but my understanding is that without the cable card to provide the channel mapping the TiVo doesn't know that which clear-QAM channel maps to (for example) "CBS". And it doesn't have any manual remapping functionality; so you can't tell it that yourself.

If the TiVo can't map the channels it won't know what guide data goes with each channel and things like season passes and wishlists won't work. I believe you'd still be able to schedule manual recordings by time and channel; but most of the usefulness of the TiVo relies on accurate guide data/channel mapping.

5. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    I have a similar cable setup and have found that without the CableCard, I was able to tune and get Guide Data for the analog channels only. I could manually select some of the ClearQAM channels but there was no Guide Data for them. I am paying for the HD level service (i.e.: standard channels but in HD) and the CableCard was necessary to get those channels because they are encrypted.