1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cabelcard problem with FIOS and fix

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by WizarDru, Aug 10, 2012.

1. WizarDru

WizarDru New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Malvern, PA
    Just putting this out there in case anyone else runs against it and is curious: on Tuesday, my wife noticed that all of our pay channels (specifically all HBO and Cinemax channels) had become unavailable on our TiVo Premiere XL. All the channels in our FIOS EXTREME HD (I think that's what they call it now) package were intact. Our second TiVo (a regular Premiere with WD expander) was able to read them fine.

The behavior would be as follows:

Tune to Channel (ex: 899, HBO HD); the screen goes to the Cablecard info screen (grey and white) displaying cablecard info and verizon's phone number. If you press CLEAR to exit, you get a blank screen, followed by about 10 seconds later by the 'you are not authorized' message.

Assuming this might be related to the recent change at Verizon FIOS of the copy protection bit, I called their help line. After sitting on hold for a while, I reached a tech who then had me check various settings. He tried first resetting and then reactivating the cablecard. This produced an even more unusual behavior: after pressing 'CLEAR' it would actually show the channel properly for 1-10 seconds, then freeze on that image for about 10 seconds before again determining it wasn't authorized. Verizon then fell back on the belief that it was most likely a TiVo problem, but that if TiVo found no problem, they could try swapping the card.

A quick call to TiVo had us look at some information on the card to determine that while it was successfully paired, it wasn't decoding the encrypted channels properly. They recommended getting a new cablecard. A subsequent call back to Verizon arranged for that.

Last night the card arrived and after a long call with Verizon, we got it activated and then successfully paired. The card was clearly the problem.

No horror story, here. I just wanted to share the information in case anyone saw a similar error. Both Verizon and TiVo had polite, friendly phone support and did their best to help me. Problem solved.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    FiOS sent info out to subscribers over a month ago stating that people would need to get their cards paired to their devices. This was for the Copy Protecton which HBO and Cinemax wanted to enforce. None of the other channels currently have an issue if the cards are not paired.

I paired my cards the week of getting the letter. For me it was a quick and painless process using the automated telephone system to get my three cards paired.

3. rrm820

rrm820 New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    My issue is exactly the same as described. HBO channels get the authorize screen ever since they put in the copyright change last week. But my problem has not been resolved.

i am currenly stuck in the middle between Verizon and Tivo. I have a Series 3, i'm on my second set of cable cards from Verizon (i have 2 cable card slots), that have been reset and reintialized numerous times. Both Tivo and Verizon are saying it's the other guy's problem. This compounded by the fact that the Tivo tech i got on the phone was pretty poor (sounded like he was drunk). luck of the draw i guess. I think i finally got the drunk tech to escalate up the Tivo food chain, so hopefully the right engineers will start looking into this problem from the Tivo side.

I have to admin the Verizon guys have been cooperative. They even dispatched a tech to my house to test signal strength. And after escalating up to their engineers, they are insisting it has to do with Tivo not handling the newer signal when the copyright thing went down last week.

Im hoping this is not a unique problem and someone at Tivo knows the root cause for this issue, and hopefully the magic needed to fix it. Im guessing if there is any truth to Verizons claim, that maybe there is a firmware upgrade of sorts that needs to be applied to my Tivo to fix this. And hopefully, some engineer at Tivo is on top of this. If not, and this problem is unique, i think i'll be playing ping pong for a bit between the two until this gets resolved.

Will keep you posted in case anyone else is having this problem.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I think Verizon is incapable of pairing single-stream cards. Maybe it's time to retire my S3 anyway...

5. joe1515

joe1515 New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Bayport, NY
    Starting last night I was having the same issues. At first I tried to just re-activate the cards using the automated phone number but that did not work. I called Verizon and they were no help either. I finally figured out how to get mine to work. Here are the steps I followed;

1. I removed the cable card and re inserted
    2. Then I called the automated cable number and re-activated the cards
    3. Then I performed a full guide set up

I hope this helps.

-Joe

6. FiosUser

FiosUser Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I have an S3, two single stream cards, and last night this problem happened to me on HBO and Cinemax in California on FIOS.

Tried calling and pairing with the number that flashed on the cable card screen, but it didn't work.

Phone call to support didn't work either.

They are sending me two new cards to try out. I'll try the fix suggested above here to remove and replace cards, call to activate, and guide setup. Hope it works!

7. Gregor

Gregor Active Member

Feb 18, 2002
    You might try asking Verizon what the Host iD is that they have on file. If it is different from the one on your screen, then they can change it. They'll ask for one other piece of information.

(Verizon started by asking me what the serial number of the card was, then they gave it a hit, and it didn't work. I then asked them what Host ID they had on file, and it was different than what the TV screen said.)

8. bantar

bantar Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Same problem here with Tivo HD and two S cards. In the Verizon thread, there were posts suggesting that M cards may resolve the problem. I expect to get these on Tuesday and post the results. I've had 3 different techs attempt to pair the cards, with only the last one that really knew what to do. We definitely compared and corrected all of the parameters for activation, so it does not appear to be strictly related to wrong parameter information (however, you do need to make sure that it's accurate for the pairing to occur). And, yes, my host IDs were incorrect, until the 3rd tech changed it.

9. billys9319

billys9319 New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    I tried 6 S-cards in my Series 3 and all failed. As soon as I tried two M-Cards they both activated with out any problems.

10. mulscully

mulscully Member

May 31, 2003
    Malvern, Pa
    Same here with HBO and 2 of my 3 cable cards. The tech I spoke to send some kind of signal that bricked my one cable card, then he decided to send a truck out 'cause he did not want to brick the other. I tried to get him to check the card setup and pairing but he insisted he knew what he was doing..

Well anyway, last night I downloaded the verizon in-home agent software, and was able to find my other malfunction cable card in the set up cable card section, repaired the card myself there and now it works..

So it seems that now you definitely need your cards paired correctly for the channels with the copy once bit set..

11. rrm820

rrm820 New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    After spending 3 hours on the phone with TiVo and Verizon techs, they confirmed there was no more they could do at their level. Both techs were escalating to their respective supervisors, instructing them to raise to the AD/engineers to resolve the problem.

The TiVo tech did announce that during our call, he had received an internal TiVo communique that a recent issue exists between TiVo and fios pertaining to copy protection on premium channels with no known resolution. Here's hoping they get the right people involved and put out a fix.

12. bantar

bantar Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Well, I got my M-Card to replace the two S-Cards in my Tivo HD and with one more phone call to get it activated, I'm up and running with HBO and Cinemax working again. The automated system couldn't activate the card, so I needed to have a tech finish this for me.

Note: None of the 4 (that I spoke to) FIOS techs knew what was required to solve this problem. Their internal notes simply state that the card should be deactivated and reactivated to correct the issue. Certainly, this isn't enough for our problems. Ask them to change you to an M-Card. Additionally, I had to request that they pair the card. Activation wasn't enough for HBO. Each tech had to research this command before executing it.

13. eisenb11

eisenb11 New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Redondo...
    I've recently had this problem with my Series 3 and have it solved now as well. The problem is that HBO doesn't work because they insisted on the stupid copy protection flag being flipped on.

In my case, 1 S card worked, but the other didn't.

We tried a bunch of stuff over the phone - hit the card, remove and add in their system, etc, etc. Nothing got the second card working.

Got 2 new M cards today. I popped out the old ones and popped in the new ones. I used the selfinstall web page (URL in the instructions that come with the card) and got everything up and running.

Screen started dead, but a picture was up in about 10 minutes. It took another 30 or so minutes before channel 131 (the pairing test channel) and HBO worked. Just needed to wait it out.

So far so good.

14. FLGator

FLGator New Member

Aug 15, 2012
    I have multiple Tivos.... Premier Elite XL, Series 3, Series 2, etc. I also experienced the same issues this week with all my premium channels on the Premier Elite XL system going to gray "unauthorized screen". Verizon Fios informed me that they were upgrading (aka downgrading there system with "copyright protect") and it would be working within 24 hours.

Well didn't work... spent three days various times on phone with them trying to pair system again, they also suggested I "upgrade" to their box, and finally agreed was this particular cable card and sent me a new one. I got new one today and installed it and had same issue.

Tonight they informed me they are no longer supporting TIVO or cable cards. I have tried again just incase it was the representative and got same answer. My Tivo Series 3 still works fine... but when I removed one of the cards it blocked the premium channels so don't remove yours on that particular card.

I am now stuck with brand new Tivo boxes and 2 year contract with Verizon Fios so need to figure out problem or get both companies to cancel contacts and buy back equipment. I guess TIVO lost their battle with FCC and cable companies are squeezing them out of business... sounds like a monopoly.

Any other suggestions before I give up?

15. eisenb11

eisenb11 New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Redondo...
    That's does not sound correct. They have to support cable cards, it's a FCC requirement. Sounds like you got some bad agents.

If you got the cards, try going to the website listed in the included documents to do a cable card self install. I did and everything started working about 40 minutes later. Not sure, if it's too late, though, as you've already added them, but it's worth a try.

If all else fails, try having them send you another set of cards then doing the self install when you get them.

16. FLGator

FLGator New Member

Aug 15, 2012
    I did the self "home agent" reset... and got all channels working except HBO and Cinemax. I am wondering if anyone else was able to get HBO and Cinemax running again since those are the new "copy protected" and nontransferrable channels?

17. FiosUser

FiosUser Member

Nov 16, 2007
    My new S cards came.

In they went. Auto configure, phone configure, website configure, tech support configure:

HBO and Cinemax are still gone.

On phone hold right now trying to get them to send me M cards (for same price as S cards...they claim I need to pay more--$1 more. I'm holding out!)

18. eisenb11

eisenb11 New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Redondo...
    I have HBO running. I thought a few others have reported the same after getting M cards as well.

19. eisenb11

eisenb11 New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Redondo...
    Let us know if you're successful. I was thinking of calling in for the same. No reason we should pay $1 more per card for something that wasn't our fault.

20. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Just call back and get a new agent. I had same issue, they sent me two new m cards, I then called and it took a while for the guy to get it paired but he fixed it. If I were you, I would call back,ask for all new m cards, when they come in, call them and tell them you need to activate it. Do not hang up until they fix it, if your agent seems like he has no idea, hang up and call back. The first agent I got was clueless. The second knew what to do. All my channels work fine now. Just took an hour on phone for guy to figure it out.