1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bye- My Last SD DirecTivo Has Finally Died

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by TivoDoc, Aug 27, 2012.

1. TivoDoc

TivoDoc New Member

Dec 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    It is a sad day in my household. After years of owning and hacking series 1 and 2 DirecTivo's, my last DSR704 kicked the bucket this weekend. I could probably piece together one last working unit with all of the dead ones in my closet but, it is time to move on.

I waiting 2 years for the new HD Tivo box (even buying a HD Tivo and paying $50/month connecting to cable) but the new THR22 box was too little too late. We've moved on to the HR family. They are not as slick, but they do talk to each other nicely for Whole-Home-DVR.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for all of the help over the years.

Peace,
    Jeff

2. dlmcmurr

dlmcmurr New Member

Mar 2, 2006
    East Tennessee
    TivoDoc,

:( Since I'm right now upgrading from 6.2a to 6.4a plus had to scrap one of my S2's, I feel your pain. (No more MRV and I have to learn mfs_ftp). But the reading I've been doing on here in the past few weeks tells me that the new direcTivo is so crippled that it's not worth having (not really any better than the S2) and the non-Tivo direcTV DVR's have finally come of age and aren't that bad. Too bad direcTV couldn't play well with Tivo and come out with a product comparable to the new standalone Tivo.

Dave

3. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    Indeed. Feature wise, it has a little more than the THR22 (no Recently Deleted, though :( ) and is probably more well integrated with DirecTV.

The gui isn't too bad either. It's very similar toTivo's, but Tiv's is still better and friendlier.

I have the HR-24 and my old DSR-6000, which is being used by my son. It's too bad Direct TV couldn't play nice with Tivo.

-Mike

4. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    FWIW, I've been playing with the MovieLoader/tyftpd combo on 6.4a and it's pretty easy to set up and use.

5. CoolT

CoolT New Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Directv is probably afraid it is so much better than there HD-DVR.