1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying Roku like adding a tuner or 2 to my TiVos

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by macjeepster, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Apr 9, 2014 #1 of 35
    macjeepster

macjeepster New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Using the Roku for for streaming HBO Go and Showtime Anytime makes recording these channels on my TiVos unnecessary.
    Amazingly, the quality of the Roku streaming is far superior to Time Warner's overly compressed signal on these channels. I can dedicate my Premieres to just recording regular network and cable channels.
    If there were commercials, it would probably be different, because mostly the Roku won't let you fast-forward through them, but on these channels there are none, so that's not an issue.
    The Roku is a great companion for Tivo.

2. Apr 9, 2014 #2 of 35
    gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I have Comcast, so I can't access HBO GO or Showtime Anytime via the Roku. Regardless, I still love it and use mine almost every day.

3. Apr 9, 2014 #3 of 35
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Time Warner Cable also has its own Roku app that you can use to receive TWC on-demand content as well as live TV channels streamed over the internets.

4. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I am a Comcast customer so do what I do to get HBOGO and Showtime on my Roku...."borrow" a Verizon FIOS ID from a family member (who has both Showtime and HBO) to watch all their programs OnDemand. Works like a charm :) :up:

I will also say that the Comcast Play app is actually pretty good too (where I use my current Comcast HBO account with).

5. moedaman

moedaman New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I love my Roku, but I'm getting Comcast installed tomorrow. Luckily, where I live I can get On Demand on my Premiere and my TivoHD is on the same tv my HTPC is connected to. So I'll be fine for that. I would really hate to pay for a couple of Xbox Live Gold subs to watch On Demand.

6. mcf57

mcf57 New Member

Oct 19, 2012
    GA
    I am actually giving serious thought to dumping my 3 lifetime TiVos and just going with a Roku and some tablets. My only hesitation is that I am gonna maybe wait and hold out to see what happens with the Aereo development and how it does in the Supreme Court.

If Aereo wins, I will then get a Roku and use their app to get my local channels (since I am in an area that can) along with HBOGO (borrowed ID too) on it.

7. PaJo

PaJo New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    highspire,pa...
    I think Comcast would be wise to release a Roku "On Demand" channel for Comcast customers. It would be a way to keep them rather than force them to look elsewhere. It might even help because some might subscribe to HBO just to get HBOGO. I don't think many current Tivo subscribers are going to drop TIVO for a Comcast DVR or more expensive Tivo just to get On Demand. I suspect many current Tivo owners are happy just where they are. They might add a little more but not ready to make more expensive upgrades.

On edit: we have a Roku attached to every TV in the house but only 1 HD Tivo for our main TV.

8. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    The fact that I can now get Xfinity VOD on my TiVo definitely helps to mitigate my anger over not being able to access HBO or Showtime from my Roku. Xfinity doesn't seem to have as deep of an archive, but most of the main stuff is there.

9. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    I agree. This is what allowed me to go from a pro to a 4 tuner basic with a Roku at each TV.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    From what I've seen so far from my several Rokus and several TiVos on FiOS. The quality of the streaming apps(audio and video) is worse than what I have on FiOS. Plus with some of the apps, like HBO Go, you can't get access to it unless you have a cable subcsription to HBO anyway.

11. macjeepster

macjeepster New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    The Time-Warner on demand is OK, but you can't FF through the commercials like you can on a TiVo. I guess IiVo has spoiled me, but I hate watching TV with commercials.

12. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I don't know if it's the same with Time Warner, but I actually found Hulu to have less commercials than XFinity On Demand.

13. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    One problem, no one know what will happen if Aereo win. Fox has stated that they will end all OTA broadcasting and go cable only, but legally can they break the contract with local broadcaster? Same with ABC, CBS, NBC. Local sports teams have also stated that they would end all OTA broadcast of local games, can they break contracts with local stations? What happen to all the broadcast spectrum own by FOX, ABC, CBS, NBC do they return it to the government for it to be re-sold to the cell phone companies? How will local stations survive without anything to broadcast? The lawyer are going to have field day and we all know Congress will be useless.

14. PaJo

PaJo New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    highspire,pa...
    I understand the legal questions concerning Aereo but NimbleTV, USTVNow seem similar and offer DVR services as well, but I am not sure about commercials. If I did not have a Tivo product I may be interested in one of those services to use with their private Roku channels. They may be OK for a temporary fix but as expensive as having cable TV. One thing for sure, times are changing and there are more options available today then the Tivo series 1 days.

15. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    The quality of HBO GO is not as good as recording off of cable. I find those things are only useful as a backup when you can't get the content any other way...

16. macjeepster

macjeepster New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    I guess that depends on how many channels they cram into the available bandwidth on your cable system and the setup on your device.

HBO Go on my Roku 3 is noticeably better than HBO Go on my Apple TV and HBO on Time Warner cable recorded on my TiVo .

17. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    IIRC, HBO and ESPN are the two channels big enough to force even Comcast to not tri-mux them. HBO on Comcast looks pretty amazing. That's interesting. As a Comcast subscriber, I don't have it on Roku, so my comments are based on the iPad app AirPlaying to my AppleTV. I can't use the AppleTV directly, as the remote is almost worthless. I could just try HBO on XoD, but I don't think they have nearly the selection that HBO Go does, and that ties up a tuner.

18. Fofer

Fofer XenForo Rocks! TCF Club

Oct 29, 2000
    What's wrong with the AppleTV remote? I like it. And if you find it so bad, why not just use a better universal IR remote? Or the excellent "Remote" app for iOS? Native playback on the AppleTV (when possible) looks and feels better to me than relying on AirPlay.

19. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    It just doesn't work most of the time. The IR window is so small and so sensitive that it just doesn't work. I suppose I could use the iPhone/iPad remote, but it's easier just to AirPlay the content in the first place...

20. Fofer

Fofer XenForo Rocks! TCF Club

Oct 29, 2000
    I hear ya. I programmed the IR into my Harmony One. I think it has a more powerful emitter. With the original remote I have to point it directly and specifically at the AppleTV, but with the Harmony One I can basically point it "generally in that direction" and it still works.