1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying lifetime subscription through Best Buy at 0% financing

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by buscuitboy, Jan 17, 2013.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I was looking to possibly get a 4 tuner Premiere from my local Best Buy. I got a 2-tuner Premiere from them last year and while I didn't wind up doing this, the Best Buy rep at the time seemed to indicate that they have a Best Buy rep that deals with TiVo and they could handle getting a TiVo lifetime subscription through them.

Therefore, the lifetime subscription could then be charged to my Best Buy account and (along with the TiVO itself) ultimately also qualify under the Best Buy 18-month 0% financing option (& earn Reward Zone points to boot). I was a little leary and didn't follow through on this. Simply got the lifetime subscription on my own, but does this sound doable? Or is it something that was probably told to me by an employee who didn't truly understand it (wouldn't surprise me) and was just trying to sell a TiVo?

2. rsnaider

rsnaider Active Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    You cannot buy the sub from anyone other then TiVo, so it cannot be combined at the time of sale unless you buy it from TiVo directly.

3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

The rep was probably confusing a sub with an extended warranty.

Although it would make sense to let BB handle selling the sub (and in general setting up the account for you before you leave the store so it's ready when you get home) if they're going to let them retail the boxes.

4. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    IMHO the reason TiVo dropped the price of hardware and increased the price of the sub was to keep more money for TiVo Inc. TiVo would have to pay anybody a commission to sell their Lifetime Service, they don't want to do that, that is another reason the Lifetime Gift cards went away from Best Buy and other retailers. You would also have the problem of MSD.

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    My thoughts exactly