1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying 3rd Tivo Premiere or Tivo Whole Home DVR?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by atomarchio, May 5, 2012.

1. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I've been reading about Tivo's new Whole Home DVR product coming out soon.

I am trying to decide between buying a 3rd Tivo in my house (would be 2 Premiere's and 1 S3) or waiting for the Whole Home DVR.

What is the difference betweeen these 2 options.

Is the Whole Home DVR basically a Tivo Premiere box? If you can transfer/stream shows, how would the regular Tivo Premiere differ?

Please help me clarify. Thanks.

2. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    There is no Whole Home DVR coming, or even rumors of one. In reality any Premiere can act as a whole home solution as it is. The only products that are coming are a transcoding box and an DVR-less box that would let you stream from the DVRs.

3. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Would this box for streaming allow me to stream my home MP4 collection similar to the Streambaby app? If so, do you know when this new box will be available?

4. Quake97

Quake97 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Southeastern PA
    The XL4 is really the whole home DVR, especially when the Preview comes out, or whatever they are going to call it.

Joe

5. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Other than harddrive size and number of tuners, there shouldn't be any difference between the XL4 and the other Premieres. It will most likely not be called the Preview as that is the name of a different product that Tivo already produces.

6. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    Tivo produces the Preview it's not listed on their site. the Preview is the streaming box like a moxi mate for tivo.

7. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Did you read what I wrote?

For a little more correct information:
    Tivo produces the Preview and sells it only to cable providers. It is not a streaming box like the moxi mate. It is an STB (which like pretty much all new cable company STBs can also stream from a DVR in the house). The box that Tivo will bring to retail will most likely not be called the Preview as it is not an STB (it does not have the ability tune all by itself, since it does not have a tuner). This is similar to the Premiere Q (the cable company name for the Premiere XL4), and those two are much closer in functionality.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2057

8. Quake97

Quake97 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Southeastern PA
    The Preview does have a tuner and cablecard slot.

Joe

9. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    True, but we aren't discussing it.