1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buy used or new?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Orthanos, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Orthanos

Orthanos New Member

Apr 14, 2012
    I would like to upgrade from my series 1, and am considering busing a series 3, HD off eBay, or just going to Tivo and getting a new premier with lifetime.

What is the advantage of premier vs the older series 3?

Any thoughts?

-

2. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    The Series 3 models are great HD DVR's.

The origional OLED S3 requires two cable cards while the HD models require only one M card. They will serve you well and you will save some money going with one that has an existing lifetime service contract.

The downside is that the platform does not receive any additional software updates and you will not get any of the future features with the S3 models. Such as:

- Full feature tablet TiVo Companion app
    - New software updates to Youtube and Netflix
    - The new Transcoding device for streaming / sideloading to portable devices
    - The new IP Set top box for streaming to extra TV's
    - Anything else TiVo dreams up.

In the end it depends on what you are looking for. If you just want a good, solid DVR you can save a few dollars and buy a used S3 model. If you find value in any of the new features offered by the Premier platform then a Premier would be your best bet.

Good Luck!

3. Orthanos

Orthanos New Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback.

I think I would like the play on other tv's idea.

4. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Note both unmodified S3 and S4 class TiVos cannot transfer protected content to any other device. If you are interested in transferring videos from your TiVo to an external device and you happen to have a CATV provider that copy protects everything, your ability to transfer content from the Premier or Elite will be severely limited. While this is also true of unmodified S3 class TiVos, it is not true of a modified S3 class TiVo.

5. Orthanos

Orthanos New Member

Apr 14, 2012
    I am not so much interested in transferring to another device as I am wanting to have a single tivo as long as I can play the recordings on other tv's in the house.

6. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Glad I was of help. Do understand that the IP Set top box was announced earlier this year but is not out yet and we are still waiting for final product details.

We do know that it will only work as a companion to the Premier platform.

7. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Just get a new premiere from amazon or electronic expo. They go for around 50-80 brand new. No point in getting used / old HD unit which won't get updates , be slower, and have less resale value.

Or if you get it from TiVo thy will most likely give you a free wifi adapter or upgraded remote..worth a try to call and ask to see what they give you.

8. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    +1

Unless you are buying an S3 with lifetime service already attached, you are going to have to pay for service. In that case, you are going to be better off with a Premiere, especially since you aren't going to see new function on older boxes.

9. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I'd just get a new Premiere (in fact, I did, two of them). The Premiere is the latest platform, it's going to have the longest lasting support in the future, and is going to be getting the new features.

The only reason to buy the older hardware is if you have a budget limitation.

10. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    The older systems have things the newer ones don't. Like a built in DVD burner/player, support for satellite (at least the Premiere doesn't support satellite), night light, jacks on the front to hook up your video camera, and more.

11. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I would certainly buy a new Premiere or refurbished Premiere with warranty instead of a used Series 3 at any price I see today although I do own the TiVoHD with no plan to upgrade to the Premiere. If a TiVoHD with lifetime was availble for under $300, it might be worth considering instead of a new Premiere with lifetime at $500 but for anything less than a $200 premium, buy new is my recommendation.

12. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    fleabay Tivo HD w/lifetime for $350 or so, if you have a limited budget. Even cheaper if you can find on one craigslist. The minimum entry level price for a Premiere w/lifetime is $550 now, if you can get the discount code to work.

13. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    You can get the original Premiere new for $100 or a reconditioned for $80 from the TiVo clearance center.

You might also be able to find a new one cheaper on line somewhere. In any event I would get the original Premiere (new or reconditioned) with lifetime wait 90 days then upgrade the hard (keeping the original hard drive is important). Total costs with lifetime and hard drive upgrade somewhere around $600 depending on how much you have to pay for a 1 or 2TB hard drive 3 months from now.

Good Luck,

14. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    There's a demand for ancient DVD players/burners that is significant enough that one would want it integrated into his Tivo? Investing money in antiquated hardware to gain a night light or front panel jacks would just be silly.

The only necessity I see on your list is satellite compatibility, in which case if it was me I'd buy or rent the satellite company's DVR instead of a Tivo.

15. Orthanos

Orthanos New Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Thanks all for your thoughts.

I went ahead and got me a Premier. Might lifetime it, but dang 399 is a boat load of cash right now.

I was dumb and got the 75 hour premier instead of the 45 hour one. But otherwise I will get an expansion drive for it down the road.

Thanks again all.

16. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    You can get a good DVR'S used, but I am not sure it is really the smart money.

What is your reasoning?

17. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    It's at least $150 cheaper than new.

18. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is your S1 lifetimed?

Was that lifetime sub purchased on or before January 20, 2000?

19. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    And if money is the driving concern for you - it is a good DVR.

20. Orthanos

Orthanos New Member

Apr 14, 2012
    My S1 is lifetime subscription the original activation date is 12/25/2001. What does that mean?

-Jose