1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buy hard drive from weakness or pay tivo$149

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by caddyroger, Jul 10, 2013.

1. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    My hard drive might failing. What would be the best to do. 1 buy a hard drive for weaknees for $199. 2 Pay Tivo $149 for a equipment exchange.

2. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    We upgraded with a drop-in replacement from weaknees. The advantages are 1) you keep your own TiVo, so you know what condition the TiVo is in, and 2) since we put the drive in ourselves, we had much less down time than we might have had, waiting for a replacement from TiVo.

Only you can tell what's best for you, but those are the reasons we chose the replacement drive.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If you are sure it is a hard drive I would replace it with a larger one. Along with Weaknees many people have bought from DVR_dude on ebay you can get a 2TB upgrade from him for $178 shipped.

4. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    A third option is to make a backup of your existing drive before it dies completely and then restore it to a virgin drive you purchased. You can do it for much less than buying a preconfigured drive from the aforementioned sources. The process is relatively simple with the current tools and there are tutorials and links to the required software in the sticky threads.

5. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    If you don't require a size upgrade , buy a used Tivo on craigslist or ebay for cheap.
    If your TiVo doesn't have lifetime, put it on the shelf and save if for parts, and replace it with another working TiVo. Preferably one with lifetime.

6. moedaman

moedaman New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    This is exactly what I did. The power supply on my Series 2 40gb model died. I found a 80gb model on craigslist for $20 and replaced both the ps and hdd. Now I have a fully functional Series 2 that has doubled the capacity, while spending $20 and some labor to fix.

You didn't say what model of Tivo you have. But I see Series 3 and Series 4 models without lifetime all of the time on craigslist for $50 - $100.

7. ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    There are several DIY options in the upgrade forum. If your current disk is still readable you can buy your own disk and use freeware tools to copy.

8. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    Caddy,

What model number is it? There's a lot of free software like MFSLive, WinMFS & DvrBARS that will let you do it yourself fairly painlessly for around $95.

9. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Thanks guys for trying to help this dumb ass out. I ran a kick start 54 on it and every thing passed after 6 hours. When I went to the hda and others for read and write it failed.
    This was 2 am this mourning. I got pissed and ordered a hard drive from weaknees. Then after I got up and read the reply I had forgotten about buying a hard drive and imaging my self.

10. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    It is the Premiere elite TCH 758

11. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    I have a factory-fresh DvrBARS 758 image if you ever need it. Since you ordered a drive from Weaknees that's probably a no, but I'll send you a PM just in case.

12. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I highly recommend making a backup image of the weaknees drive after you get it set up.

13. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    What do you use to make a backup copy?

14. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    I'd use the JMFS bootable CD, then drop down to the command line and use the same GNU dd_rescue utility that JMFS guided menus use. I doubt a weaknees drive would be recognized as a vlid drive by JMFS guided menus. You can also greatly increase the speed of the copy by using your own command line options. It works great on DVR_DUDE drives for any model.

If you don't have another equal size drive to do that with, then DVRBARS is the way to go, and has it's own thread here. Also, playing around with dd_rescue, without knowing what you are doing can lead to disasters, like selecting the wrong source & target drives for the copy/clone.