1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning TiVo file to a DVD

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jsperu04926, Sep 21, 2012.

1. jsperu04926

jsperu04926 New Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Using TiVo Desktop software, I have transferred a video program from the TiVo Box to my computer. To burn the TiVo file to a DVD, I have used Roxio 2012 Creator and ConvertXtoDVD, both with no real success. Is there some other option available to me?

2. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    VideoRedo will convert the .tivo file on your PC into a DVD.

VideoRedo = easiest solution by far.

TC

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If you're on a tight budget, there are free alternatives to VideoReDo.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    You would need either VRD TVSuite 3 ($75) or TVSuite 4 (around $96). After you do the free trial registration found in the menu system it is 100% functional for the trial period. I agree this is the best solution, unless you can't afford it. VRD has an excellent forum which I would highly recommend for help and info.
    I'm not sure what the best free solution(s) is (are). I used to use DVDStyler and I think it's still around. You probably also need (free) tivoDecode to convert the .tivo to .mpg first (not required if using VRD).

6. wml1950

wml1950 Member

Dec 25, 2006
    If you plan on burning many DVD's, consider buying a series 2 TiVo with built-in burner. I have used one for several years. In essence, insert blank DVD and select show that you want to burn from now playing list. A one hour show will burn in approximately 15 minutes. A series 2 TiVo with burner were made up until about 6 years ago. However, weak knees still sells them. You can also buy on ebay or Craigslist. Pioneer and Toshiba models include basic service standard. Humax requires a fee.

7. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    True, but how many of them work natively with .tivo files?

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    *sigh* Irrelevant, especially since you can configure kmttg to automatically invoke tivodecode, and that step doesn't take much time at all. I'm not saying that VideoReDo might not be a nice thing to have, but in his case, it might be overkill. Not everyone has the luxury of spending an extra $50-$100 for something like this, especially if they don't need all of those capabilities. The OP should be aware of all of his options and make an informed choice.

9. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    One can choose to spend their time however one wishes. I choose efficiency. All in one solution.
    I agree, if you only burn 3 or 4 DVDs a year, VRD might not be worth the expense. But if you want to save entire seasons of shows while keeping the best PQ, you're going to be burning a lot of DVDs.
    It takes 6 dual layer DVDs to hold a 24 episode 1 hour series (actually 42-44 minutes/episode) keeping the best quality.
    Use less and you start compromising the quality.

And in the OP's case, it sounds like he is doing this for just one video. He tried a couple of solutions that did not work out for him.
    VideoReDo (with the free trial) is perfect for this situation. I would be surprised if you were to suggest otherwise.