1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn Notice "Official Business" 8/16/2012

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Idearat, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    It was at the very beginning, but I'm not sure if it was from last week or this week, but we saw info on the weapon that killed Nate.

The specs Sam had said it was a .950 caliber projectile. That caught my eye as it does sound a bit big. Turns out you can buy a rifle that shoots that size ammunition:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.950_JDJ
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/11/beyond-50-bmg-the-jumbo-950-jdj/

I guess this explains how it went through two bodies and the sign.

2. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    So whoever shot them must have been carrying around one of these (the lead sled, not the rifle) and a bunch of lead shot.

[​IMG]

Does not look like it is quick and easy to aim that thing.

3. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    Youtube has a video of several guys shooting it. They used a bench rest, but had it up to their shoulders ( with a big pad between ) I don't think anyone could do 3 shots in rapid succession Oswald-style, but they might get the one. Harder to do might be getting at the right high point to be lined up for the shot while lugging around 100lbs of rifle and kit.

4. obixman

obixman Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Houston
    I had a friend in collage who purchase a Russian Anti-tank rifle at a gun show.

Very impressive, but utterly impractable for anything other than an ambush.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Quite practical for impressing people!

(And maybe scaring the crap out of them, and getting a reputation as that crazy guy...)

6. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Imagine the odds.

The official investigation, short, and shut down, IDs the exact rifle used.
    Only one company ever sold it.
    Only one company ever bought one.
    Only one guy working for that company could have fired it.

Now we're off to a new big secret, conspiracy organization behind the security company behind the shooter of Anson and behind pulling Anson's strings who was behind/and or alongside Management and pulling Michael and Fi's strings.... *yawn*

The last episode Bruce blew a line reading and they didn't bother to reloop it. I think the whole crew is bored as we are.

7. DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    If he got hit by that, there wouldn't be anything left but pink mist.

8. verdugan

verdugan Active Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    That is incorrect. A bunch of rifles were sold, but since they knew the exact rifle, they were able to figure out who bought it.

9. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    The exact rifle? All they had was the evidence of what kind of rifle based on the short investigation. The bullet, maybe.

10. verdugan

verdugan Active Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    You know what, you've got me doubting myself now. I don't remember how they narrowed it down to that company, but I do remember that they had sold multiple rifles. In fact, I seem to remember it was 12 rifles, but based on my previous post, I could be wrong. :)

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Were those CIA clowns from the Sam Ax movie or from an earlier Burn Notice season (or both)?

I spent half the episode wondering where I recognized the actor playing the suspected bad guy from. It was from that commercial with the miniature giraffe. I can't remember the product though.

12. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    Yes, Bailey and Manaro . I suspected it when they showed up, but when they asked to have them not get the blame for the screwup that clinched it for me.

13. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    We saw the 2 stooges first on an early BN episode when they were trying to pressure Mike and Sam snarled that they had gotten him nearly killed. The Sam Ax movie was a prequel with that story.

--------

How about the poor service station guy who gets beat up for not believing those random goofs were really CIA, which BTW is not allowed to operate inside the US.

14. verdugan

verdugan Active Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes, that's him. It's for Directv. He was also the big bad guy in several episodes of Criminal Minds.

15. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    How did they know the exact rifle? We never heard that they found out where the shot came from, much less the weapon.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Through a lot of magical hand-waving, which I didn't pay much attention to because...well, it was magical hand-waving.

But my impression was they first figured out that it was the one and only kind of gun that could fire that ammo, and then figured out that of the examples of that gun that are around, it could only have been the one that was owned by that particular mercenary company.

It was gibberish, but it was the exact same kind of gibberish that this show always passes off on us so its characters can move ahead in the plot without the writers having to do actual work.

17. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Is it possible to do ballistics analysis on the projectile from one of those big rifles (and were they able to retrieve it from behind that wall)?

If so, is it possible that on such a low-volume rifle as this, that the manufacturer may fire a few rounds off and keep photographs of the projectiles on file, for every rifle manufactured?

18. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    One of 'em looked like Frank Zappa (RIP)...

19. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Again, nothing at all believable or plausible with this episode, or for that matter this how at all. Doesn't matter to me, it's a fun ride.

The best part for me has always been Mike's description of his "McGuyver" type tricks to get him in and out of trouble.

20. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i finally caught up with the season. i'm glad the fiona jail thing ended relatively quickly...was getting a tad boring. i still cannot get use to mike being back on good terms with the company..just too weird

when will mother finally just leave miami? nothing but trouble finds here..i dont think she even had a bf this year. now with brother dead, i guess she will be even more protective of mike but if they ever want to write her out, they sure have just cause.

i also like the new handler isnt afraid to trust mike and lets him go out on a limb occasionally.