1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn Notice 9/5/13 "Sea Change"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Sep 5, 2013 #1 of 32
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    While I have been enjoying this (final) season much more than recent years, I was truly blown away by the sheer, plot-driven stupidity of this episode.

"Well, Sam & Fi, you see, I'm plotting with the CIA and we're going to take down James today. Then, this will all be over."

"Oh, OK, that sounds great. We'll just hang out here until you're done."

There was absolutely no reason, aside from artificially-manufactured drama and horribly lazy writing, for the boathouse scheme or the rooftop showdown ever to take place. What a MASSIVELY disappointing way to set up the finalé.

2. Sep 5, 2013 #2 of 32
    JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Agreed. Very disappointing.

3. Sep 6, 2013 #3 of 32
    john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Despite routinely trying to turn off my brain during this show, I was also disturbed by that absurdity.

What are the chances James is really planning to let himself be taken in (and not escape)? I'd put it at no better than 50/50. At best (for Michael), James is planning to let himself be taken in long enough that Michael can say he fulfilled his mission, and then James will somehow escape. Or James may have some other devious plan that would not turn out so well for Michael.

The reason I bring this up is that if, in the writers' minds, James was not really going to be out of play for long, then maybe they think it less of a stupid move for Michael not to say the obvious thing to his friends about his activities. In the writers' minds. It is still bad writing, since even if the writers can "see the future", Michael obviously cannot.

By the way, I was actually rooting for Sonya to beat Fiona up while Michael watched. I have not liked her character at all since she walked out on Michael for that other guy. And Fiona and Sam were sounding way too self-righteous this episode, calling Michael a traitor and staging a ridiculous kind of intervention. Actually, Fiona has been too self-righteous with Michael this entire season, objecting to the violent methods Michael was employing, which is incredibly hypocritical coming from Fiona.

4. Sep 6, 2013 #4 of 32
    TiVangelist

TiVangelist New Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Agreed. I kept (in my head) shouting at the tv: "You idiot, just tell them what's up and they will stay out of your way til it's over!!!"

5. Sep 6, 2013 #5 of 32
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Or don't even tell them what's up! Tell them the carefully-concocted cover story that was concocted for THIS VERY REASON!!

6. Sep 7, 2013 #6 of 32
    Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    I thought/think that the building has been packed with explosives, and when the chopper lands (without James) the whole thing will go up, killing Michael (the traitor) and Sonya (collateral damage) along with the entire CIA team, leaving him to continue in his evil ways(TM), and the CIA thinking he had been killed along with the rest of them. Oh wait, this was part of the plot of Die Hard. :) But that IS what went through my mind. There is NO WAY James is just turning himself in--not a chance!

7. Sep 7, 2013 #7 of 32
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Normally I would agree with you...but with only one episode left, I have to say there IS a chance!

Maybe not the most likely scenario, but definitely a possibility. Something will clearly go wrong, but the question is, will something go wrong with James's plan, or will something go wrong because of James's REAL plan? At this point, I think it could go either way. And since they've gone to such insane lengths to make something go wrong ("A SHOT RANG OUT!") that has nothing to do with James, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he was planning on going through with it but changes his mind as a result of, well, a shot ringing out...

We'll see!

8. Sep 7, 2013 #8 of 32
    Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    LOL. I thought this episode was awesome. :)

There was nothing more or less absurd than any other episode in any other season. Michael has in the past tried to keep them in the dark about a mission. And they always try to butt in. Maybe that means he should know better, but there's no fun in that.

I think Fi, Sam and Jesse have been right all season, and clearly since Mike is betraying his country they are right. I'm on their side.

I want to see Fi beat up Sonya.

9. Sep 7, 2013 #9 of 32
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But in this case, he (and James) specifically came up with a plan to deal with that problem. But if he'd followed his own plan, then the series would have ended a week early.

This was not a Michael problem. This was a writer problem. And far more egregious than the examples you refer to, where they just couldn't be bothered to figure out a logical course of action. They DID figure out a logical course of action. But, for the sole and exclusive purpose of dragging things out, they didn't use it.

10. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Mike is hardly "betraying his country". At most, he is going against the plans of a few ambitious jerks running some CIA missions. There has been no indication that the people running these missions have the best interest of "the country" at heart.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Plus after James is captured, Michael will putatively be in charge of his organization. Which means it will be exactly as traitorous or patriotic as Michael wants it to be.

Not that the CIA would see it that way, but...

12. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    But that's exactly what he's been fighting against all these years - people who answer to no one and do what they want. They've all thought they were acting in the best interests of someone. If Michael does that, he's no better than any of them.

The CIA is hardly perfect, but better than vigilantes who answer to no one with their own agenda and cause collateral damage.

There's a big difference between the help the helpless stuff they do in Miami and running a multi national shady group that assassinates, murders and has an agenda.

13. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Keeping in mind that we are discussing the CIA as portrayed in the show, I am not convinced that you are correct. I think "vigilantes" are probably better than the CIA, which has consistently betrayed its own people and put people in power who are murderers of innocent people (Simon, Michael's former handler, several others I cannot remember in detail). And there is very little indication that the people running the CIA missions are actually answering to anyone in any meaningful way.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, that's the irony, because that's exactly what he's doing.

15. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Well I see your point. I still think that to just turn himself in would be SO out of character for someone in James position it would defy even the twisted logic of this show.

...still, just one episode left, as you say.

In any case, I think it still makes more sense than Under the Dome. :)

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    To be fair (one way or the other), the whole James thing has never really made sense. He is both a ruthless terrorist who will do anything to get his way, and a noble warrior who will make any personal sacrifice to do what governments can't or won't. They've never managed, or even really bothered trying, to reconcile those two aspects of his "nature," and with one episode left I have little doubt they will do it now. So I guess it just depends on which side they decide in the end is his "true" self.

17. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Yeah, I was in the same boat. I have a feeling we're all gonna be massively disappointed with the way this all ends. I truly believe if James' plan would come to fruition (Michael and Sonya taking over), it would be a great way to end...and allow the possibility of a spinoff. But we all know that won't happen...

18. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    This. I'm pulling for Michael, James and Sonya all the way...screw the rest of the gang (excluding Sam Axe)....

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm not so sure it won't happen...but if it does, I suspect it will be more in line with Zevida's thoughts; the irony of Michael becoming what he's been fighting all these years, or at least having gone well down that road.

So a bittersweet ending, where Michael gets what he wants but what he wants isn't necessarily a good thing. I can see the last shot being a vaguely sinister one of Michael in his sunglasses gazing out at his new empire, with a hint of a nasty smile at the thought of all the "good" he can do.

The only question is, do the old gang go with him? Or are they now the ones who might end up taking him down?

So that's one way I can see it going. I hope they don't go the sappy, sentimental route, where Michael sees the error of his ways and retires with Fiona to an estate on an island somewhere, with Sam as their cabana boy.

20. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    That's what I fear the most, and it would be a massive insult the entire series.