1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bug in 20.2: Stop & Delete

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by BlackBetty, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Jan 7, 2012 #1 of 27
    BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    When you select stop and delete while recording something the program will stop recording but doesn't delete it.

2. Jan 7, 2012 #2 of 27
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I just tried it from the now playing list. I hit clear on the show while it was playing and recording. I selected stop and delete and the show was deleted.

What screen are you on when doing it?

3. Jan 8, 2012 #3 of 27
    PaulS

PaulS Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Southern NH
    I saw this last night for the first time. I tried to stop&delete a recording in progress. The recording stopped, but the item remained in My Shows. Repeated attempts to delete the recording in My Shows failed -- the recording remained. Deleting the show via the iPhone app succeeded, though.

This was the first instance I had seen this issue since receiving 20.2, even though I had deleted quite a few shows, both completed and in-progress (both from Cable and network download).

4. Jan 8, 2012 #4 of 27
    compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I dont believe this is a 20.2 bug as i have had this issue as far back as 14.9c happening once or twice i believe

5. Jan 8, 2012 #5 of 27
    minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San...
    Similar experience here, except I used kmttg do finally delete the recording. Also ran across that in 14.9.2 one time as well.

6. Jan 9, 2012 #6 of 27
    djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I also had this happen last night with 20.2 on my Elite.

The recording was in progress, I pressed Left arrow to go back to the "My Shows" list, clicked Clear, got the prompt and selected the "Stop Recording and Delete" option.

The program stopped recording but it was not deleted. Clicking Clear on the program again did delete it.

7. Jan 9, 2012 #7 of 27
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Since forcing myself to use HDUI I've seen this issue off and on. I had one last night that when selecting "Stop Recording and Delete" option it stopped the recording but did not delete it. Pressing clear did delete it. SDUI doesn't have such an option but there I always use "Clear" to stop recording and then find show in My Shows and use "Clear" again to remove it and don't recall ever having a case where it would not delete.

8. Kivo

Kivo Member

Feb 19, 2003
    I've also seen this problem with 20.2. The two times I've tried this, the same thing has happened. The recording stops, but does not delete. Hitting clear again will delete the recording.

I had this same problem when the Premiere was originally released. One of the updates a few months later fixed the problem. Now, with 20.2, it's back.

9. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    On several occasions I've tried to delete a show using the Clear key and had to hit it a second time. I just assumed that I hadn't really hit it the first time or maybe I wasn't aiming the remote quite right, but now I'm not so sure. Has anyone (else) ever had to delete twice to get the job done with the Clear key? I'm speculating that this might not just be a problem with the "stop and delete" menu selection. And BTW it happened on version 14.x, not just 20.2, which I got only this morning.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I still have not run into this issue. Last night when I was messing around to see the number of read/write HD streams I could get going, I had recordings going on all my Premieres. So ten times I selected to stop the recording and delete and they were deleted.

What I did run across was a bug that occurred a couple of times when I tried to stop and delete the second recording. The window would pop up with the options, but the text in the background was still highlighted so I could not make a selection in the overlay window. I had to hit live TV to get out of it and go back and then when the overlay window popped up, teh text could be selected to stop and delete the recording.

11. NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    Ditto (to both paragraphs).

12. OC7

OC7 Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Happened to me also in 20.2. The program remained in My Shows after I pressed Stop Recording and Delete.

Within My Shows, I could not delete the program with either the Delete Now option or the Clear button.

I was finally able to delete the program about 20 minutes later.

Other than this item, its a great update!

13. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I have to ask this, since I am curious, and to me this is a usability issue:

Why would anyone press "clear" on a recording program and then want to keep a partial program? Why is there even a choice in the menu at all? I can understand wanting a confirmation, because unlike deleting something that was finished recording, deleting something that IS recording cannot be undone. But I just don't understand why I should be asked (essentially) if I want to keep a partial program! And to make it worse- THAT IS THE DEFAULT!

14. bbrown9

bbrown9 Member

Mar 12, 2011
    The only thing I can think of is if you wanted to keep a segment of a show but not the whole thing. Or you padded something out beyond the listed end time becauses you thought it might go over, but then it didn't.

15. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Had this happen for the second time last night on 20.2. Definitely a bug.

Although I was able to again press Clear and delete the program immediately, just as when it happened the first time.

16. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San...
    Actual use case for me: I record sports events with 1.5 to 3 hours of padding to ensure seeing the conclusion. I typically start watching after an hour or so has recorded. Not unusual to finish watching at near real time. So now I know I don't need all of the padding but maybe I would like to watch the post-game analysis that has been captured, but not just now. So I stop the recording which is technically a "partial", but keep it.

Definitely an edge case, but still.... :)

17. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Thanks for sharing. Seems like a logical reason to have such a feature remain (that, and the examples from previous postings). I would still say that at a minimum- the default should be to stop and delete instead of just stop. I would guess 99% of the time, a user will be cleaning suggestions out and want to stop and delete an unwanted suggestion that is being recorded.

18. bbrown9

bbrown9 Member

Mar 12, 2011
    My answer to that is to disable recording suggestions. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to clutter up their TiVo with stuff they didn't choose to record. I have enough stuff recording as it is.

19. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Suggestions are one of the best features of the TiVo. Turning it off is like throwing the stereo out of your car- sure, it still drives, but, ug!

I can't tell you the number of new things I have found with suggestions. They don't interfere with things you want to keep, but by going through your suggestions and rating them, you get better stuff each time. Many times, suggestions have saved me when I forgot to set up a SP or other recording, but it knew I would like it and recorded it.

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to waste their unused space by not filling it with possibly useful stuff.

20. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Not when you record everything. I browse suggestions every now and then, but I have yet to find suggestions valuable for me.