1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brooklyn Nine Nine OAD 2013-SEP-17 Pilot

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Fahtrim, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Fahtrim

Fahtrim New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    I found this one to be pretty fun and funny. Andre Brougher solid as always. They did good on the pilot, let's see how they go from here.

I guess I'm still amused by the silly adolescent humor combined with competence. Good formula I guess for my amusement.

(Also watched Dads but it was so terribad not gonna start a thread on it).
  2. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    Agree. Brooklyn Nine Nine gets a season pass, Dads just gets a pass. Seth should stick to animation.
  3. Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    This was amusing at times. I will probably give a few more weeks to see if it grows on me more.

The funniest parts were characters who got in their way. The old lady in the market and the maintenance lady.
  4. Fahtrim

Fahtrim New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    maint lady was pretty funny, New Yorker!!
  5. gweempose

gweempose New Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Darn. I forget to record it. I guess I'll have to catch it on Hulu or VOD.
  6. late for dinner

late for dinner Past Expiration Date

May 17, 2013
    We liked it, I had no idea what it was about until I watched it.
  7. astrohip

astrohip Active Member

Jan 6, 2003
    We liked it. Neither of us are Andy Samberg fans. He's just a tad goofy/silly for me, and not in a super-entertaining-funny kinda way. He's not as bad as Josh Gad, who was unwatchable in 1600 Penn.

In this case, the story was well-written, and the rest of the characters were pretty darn good. So we can overlook him for now.

There have been lots of comparisons to Barney Miller. In BM, the characters were odd, and had idiosyncrasies. Here, AS is just silly. IMHO, there is a difference between odd and silly.

Nonetheless, entertaining 30 minutes, SP survives! :up:
  8. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster TC Club

Mar 20, 2001
    Best new comedy of the season, according to Sepinwall? Um, maybe, but let's see the rest of the newbies before we decide.

But good enough to keep the Season Pass for now. Samberg is teetering on the very edge of smarmy idiocy, but the supporting cast is pretty good, and Braugher made this episode work.
  9. Gerryex

Gerryex Member

Apr 24, 2004
    I guess I'm in a minority as I thought it was terrible! And I usually DO like Andy Samberg! Someone commented that most of the humor was adolescent and I agree. Now I'm not the most sophisticated person, but to me the humor was TOO adolescent and not all that funny at that! I'll give it a few more tries but I for one am pretty disappointed with it.

I also tried Dads and it was so horrible that I won't even give it any more tries.

Amazing that a media like TV can have such great shows as Breaking Bad and some stinkers like the above shows!

10. Carlucci

Carlucci Hiding The Decline

Jan 10, 2001
    Does Brooklyn 99 have a laugh track?
  11. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    I thought it was decently funny, and I liked the style of humor. Definitely has the Parks vibe in that the humor/relationships are nicer, and not so rude. Direct contrast to Dads before it, which is based in people being awful to each other.
  12. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Wonder if they are going to have a different lead in cause Dad is going to sink B99, perhaps they'll swap spots.

Pilot was a very good, they'll have to develop the characters of course as an episode with the only the same type of humor for Sambergs character would be tiring. Loved the bumbling guys interaction with the hard-@ss female LE.
  13. astrohip

astrohip Active Member

Jan 6, 2003
    I'm one of those people that don't even notice if there's a laugh track, so someone else will have to answer.

I will say though, on the other show getting comments from last night, "DADS", the laugh track was beyond obnoxious. And this is coming from someone who, as I just said, doesn't even notice them. It continually took one out of the moment, as the laughs appeared to have nothing to do with any jokes. They could say a straight line, and the laugh track kicked in.

But on B99? If it had one, I never paid attention, nor did it stand out.
  14. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Nope. No laugh track or audience.
  15. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    The first SP casualty of the new season.
    This was just awful and the major problem was Samberg.
  16. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    I liked it. It didn't make me laugh, but I did grin several times, and I thought Braugher (who is great in everything) and Samberg had good on-screen chemistry.

Oh, and the female detectives are hot, so that helps. :)

I think it's a keeper.
  17. BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    I thought this was a great pilot! Let's hope the rest of the eps are as good. I laughed out loud a number of times. :up:
  18. tcorning

tcorning New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    It's being aired again on Thursday night, after the X Factor.
  19. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    Quick guess - Dads drops low, B99 holds steady, Fox brings back Raising Hope into the 7pm slot.

It would make this viewer happy.
  20. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    I thought it was good for a pilot. Good enough to watch more. Not completely sold. At times it seemed too earnest to me.

Dads, on the other hand, I didn't quite make through. Awful.