1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brighthouse Central Florida - Tuning Adapter Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Okeemike, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Jul 22, 2008 #1 of 457
    Okeemike

Okeemike Tastes like lemons

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Hi guys. This is related to thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=383361, but I thought it deserved a new thread.

Those of you in the Orlando area likely remember the problems we went through to get our HD channels added back to cable cards.

With the certification of the tuning adapter, and the impending SDV implementation, I pinged the same resource I was working with previously, and asked when we will know more about the adapter, and beta testing, etc...

Here's the response I received this morning:

Looks like we ought to know more in perhaps a month or so...once they receive the device in house.

2. Jul 22, 2008 #2 of 457
    tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    great news because I still can't get the 3 new channels they added last month

3. Jul 22, 2008 #3 of 457
    acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    I thought that had nothing to do with SDV. Is the tuning resolver going to help that at all?

Al

4. Jul 22, 2008 #4 of 457
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The problem is related to channel lineup for CableCard customers not being updated. Since the Tuning Adapter gets it's own channel lineup independent of CableCards (like the cable set top boxes) presumably that issue should go away as well.

5. Jul 22, 2008 #5 of 457
    Okeemike

Okeemike Tastes like lemons

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    It will definitely make a difference once SDV is rolled out in

6. Jul 22, 2008 #6 of 457
    acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    Ok, so Tivo is going to use the Tuning Adapter channel lineup before, or at least independent of, SDV.

Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks.

Al

7. Jul 22, 2008 #7 of 457
    acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    It should be interesting.

The previous poster says that there are going to be two difference channel lineups, one for the tuning adapter and one for cable card. It is going to be interesting to see how conflicts are handled.

Al

8. Jul 22, 2008 #8 of 457
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Not quite. To be clearer, when using the Tuning Adapter you will get the same channel lineup that customers with Cable Company set top boxes get. As we have already seen in many areas, this can be different from the channel lineup that CableCard customers see. Brighthouse in Orlando is a good example. My provider, Cox Orange County for a while was also intentionally leaving channels out of the CableCard channel lineup before SDV was even deployed (while cable box users got the complete set of channels). So it's not just when SDV is deployed that 2 different channel lineups can exist. Some cable companies already have been using different lineups for CableCard customers vs. set top box customers even before SDV deployment.

As far as conflicts between 2 lineups I'm not sure exactly how it works but I don't think that will be an issue. My perception (could be wrong) is that with the tuning adapter it will completely take over the responsibility of channel mapping (mapping cable channels to the right frequencies - in order to handle SDV channels it must do that). The CableCard will still be used for authorizing/decrypting but not for channel mapping purposes.
    If my above understanding is correct, then this also leads to another interesting possibility: those without CableCards that want to get a proper cable channel lineup (see the big unencrypted QAM threads) may be able to do so with the adapter. Of course, how those customers can get hold of the adapter without having CableCards is another story, but in theory this could solve that issue as well.

9. Jul 22, 2008 #9 of 457
    acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    Thanks. That was different from what I had imagined.

My guess (and purely a guess, I have no information) was that the tuning adapter was just a communication device for sending an SDV request back to the cable head end. I was thinking that the channel mapping would be done how it had always been done.

This looks more sophisticated than I had imagined.

Al

10. Jul 22, 2008 #10 of 457
    JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    Its not that their are 2 channel lineups its that there is a variable channel lineup depending on who is watching what at any given moment. Actually with SDV not all channels are at the headend all the time. The headend only puts channels that are actually being used by customers being served by the headend. This allows for more channels to be carried, because ALL Channels are usually not being viewed at any one time. For example, say an area served by a headend has 1000 people. How many channels are actually being watched? The number will be surprisingly low. Probably as low as a couple of dozen (well less than the 200+ channels the cable company has available at any rate) Currently without SDV ALL channels are available ALL of the time. With SDV only the channels that are being viewed are available. This is because the cable boxes are sending a request for a channel to the headend and the headend makes it available. The "Channel Frequencies" can change so 2 way communication between the headend and your cable box is needed. Tivo's do not have this ability built in currently so the "Tuning Resolver" (aka Dongle) fills that roll.

This is WAY oversimplified, but that is what the effect is.

11. Jul 22, 2008 #11 of 457
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    When SDV is deployed certainly that can be the case. I gave examples specifically where SDV has NOT yet been deployed and yet the channel lineups are different. Even way back when I got my 1st S3 there were cases when channel lineup for CableCards were updated at different times (in some cases days apart) than for the set top box folks in my headend, so obviously the UDCP devices were getting a different channel map than set top boxes back when SDV wasn't even on the radar. (And note when I say different channel lineups I am not talking about missing guide data which can be a difference between zap2it and cable co. listings, I mean the physical channel->frequency mappings).

12. Jul 23, 2008 #12 of 457
    JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    Agreed. I was getting the impression that acvthree thought that SDV was just a different channel lineup and for some reason cablecard couldn't decode it, hence the clarification as to what SDV does and why.

13. Jul 23, 2008 #13 of 457
    acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    Actually, I was thinking that SDV just required a signal to be sent to the head end to turn on a channel to be transmitted. I thought the channel mapping would be the same, just dependent on if a channel was turned on (transmitting) or not. I'm now getting a better understanding that there is also a different channel mapping. I did also know about what moyeki was saying, I just hadn't put 2 and 2 together. It wasn't as obviously 4 to me as it was to you guys.

I appreciate the patience. I can get these things figured out eventually. :)

Al

14. Jul 23, 2008 #14 of 457
    cableguy763

cableguy763 New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Austin
    Most companies using sdv with simulcast have the cablecards going to the still existant analog channels. I think this is what they were referring to "different" channel maps.

15. Jul 23, 2008 #15 of 457
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I was pleasantly surprised that for my headend (Cox, Orange County), they haven't put any of the digital simulcast channels under SDV and still map CableCard channels to the SD digital versions instead of the analog ones. I was expecting once SDV was deployed for all my sub-100 channels to go analog on my Tivos but so far so good. :)

16. Jul 24, 2008 #16 of 457
    ciner

ciner New Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Question for the ORL folks as I live here as well. Even with this Tuning Adapter, we'll still have the problem of not being able to receive on demand channels right? I love my TMC/HBO/Showtime/Cinemax on demand for free with the regular subscription to the channels. Is there a thread about this already, or when can we expect that fixed as well so we can receive all channels with Tivo?

TIA

17. Jul 24, 2008 #17 of 457
    ciner

ciner New Member

Mar 21, 2007
  18. Aug 28, 2008 #18 of 457
    JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    Hey Okeemike, Have you heard anything else about this?

19. Aug 31, 2008 #19 of 457
    dkahs23

dkahs23 New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Palm Coast,...
    Bump

20. Aug 31, 2008 #20 of 457
    guarh

guarh New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    I am interested in this too as a new Tivo customer. Cablecards are scheduled to be installed on Tuesday. Called BHN today and talked to their reps that deal with Cable tv, and of course they didn't know anything about SDV or Tuning adapter. I asked them if I will receive all of my current HD channels with Cablecard and they said yes... (that's North Pinellas, FL)
    Will see on Tuesday.