1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bright House - refusing to provide cable cards

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by pzook1, Sep 12, 2006.

1. pzook1

pzook1 New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    I just called Bright House and they said they will only provide cable cards for TV's, not boxes. This is Manatee County. Anyone been able to get an install scheduled?
  2. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    This is going to be an interesting thread...Keep us informed.
  3. DTSDude

DTSDude New Member

May 24, 2006
    Look around here in the forums. I'm sure someone at some point has linked the FCC mandate that they provide the cable cards. It's slightly not legal to do that. If they hold their position, get beligerant and tell them with all the money you spend on cable you expect to be provided with a better piece of equipment then their peice of @#$@ DVR and this is your way of keeping the peace. ;)
  4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    How will they know what you install the card in? Cn't you pick it up in the office and install it yourself.
  5. pzook1

pzook1 New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    no, they only provide cards via their install. First question from CSR was what TV do you have. Tried to reason with them about using in box but that went no where. While I could lie and get them out, my fear is that they wouldn't do the install when they arrived and/or would only provide one.

I did get somewhat beligerant but that didn't get me anywhere either.
  6. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    You just have to be persistent. I had a decent amount of frustration getting mine installed and working correctly. Required well over half a dozen calls, two visits, and a non-visit. Keep calling to you get someone who can assist.
  7. Lampei

Lampei New Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Just tell them that you have 2 HD TVs that you want to need to install the cable cards in (find a Samsung TV on their site that takes cables cards and tell them you have 2 of those). Then, when the installer gets there, tell them that you misspoke over the phone and that you have the new TiVo. Everything should be fine. The installer won't care what he's installing them in :)
  8. mearlus

mearlus New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Speak to a supervisor and site the legalize from the FCC about it :)
  9. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Tell them your TV is made by Tivo. The installer won't care when he gets there.
  10. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry 00-16 TiVo Employee

Jul 26, 2005
    All major cable companies (MSOs) are required by the FCC's 'Plug-and-Play' order to provide CableCARDs to any customer using any UDCR (Uni-Directional Cable Receiver) device on CableLabs list of certified, verified or self- verified cable products. The TiVo Series3 HD DVR product is on this list.
  11. ehardman

ehardman New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    At what price?
  12. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Does Bright House fit the definition?
  13. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Member

Dec 12, 2002
    I have Bright House and a Saturday appointment for 2 cable cards to go into my Series 3 I just ordered. Seminole County FL
  14. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry 00-16 TiVo Employee

Jul 26, 2005
    If they already provide CableCARD for TVs, they will work for the S3. The OP has already provided me their contact information and I will be passing that along to someone who will follow up.
  15. Gator1

Gator1 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    When you ordered the cards did you tell them it was for a Tivo unit?
  16. TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    I'll add one more thing in here that may be helpful.

If you contact your cable company, and they say they won't give you the cards you want...call us.

When you call, explain that you need help getting cable cards from your cable company, and would like to speak to the HD Team.

They'll get on the line with you while you call your cable company, and they'll help explain everything to the cable representative.

That should, hopefully, help. ;)

17. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    Wasn't there a special number to call for CC issues? I thought I remembered that...
  18. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Member

Dec 12, 2002

yes, i was their first request :)
  19. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002

do you have a link to that list incase it's needed?
  20. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Wow, I am impressed.

Have you considered a phone number or phone menu option dedicated to this issue -- i.e. dealing with incompetant or misinformed cable company CSRs who refuse to provide a CableCard for the Series3?