1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking Bad S05E02 "Madrigal" OAD 7.22.12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hank, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Jul 22, 2012 #1 of 144
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Decent episode -- just basic "plot building" which I expected to happen.

Also, the Super-Magnet-Truck wasn't really needed (despite what Walt thought), as Fring's notebook was definitely encrypted.

I liked how the writers created the catch-22 for Mike getting back in.

Can't wait to see where they start cooking again.

Have we seen the end of the German company's involvement?

2. Jul 22, 2012 #2 of 144
    redrouteone

redrouteone This Space for Lease TCF Club

Jun 16, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    Like you said a plot building episode. One thing I did not like was the suicide by AED scene. My understanding is that AED have will detect if there is a heart beat or if they are not attached correctly. In that case they will not work.

3. Jul 22, 2012 #3 of 144
    Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    It was good. Poor Skylar.

4. Jul 22, 2012 #4 of 144
    nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    They might as well have a shark jump out of the toilet when that guy killed himself with the AED. ;)

5. Jul 22, 2012 #5 of 144
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    It was a very minor plot point, so I'm willing to let that one go. He did tear off one electrode and put it in his mouth, so who knows how the device would respond/malfunction to that?

LOL! :up:

6. Jul 22, 2012 #6 of 144
    bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Decent to push the story along.

7. Jul 23, 2012 #7 of 144
    drumorgan

drumorgan a "dry" funny

Jan 11, 2003
    America's...
    Yes, I just got CPR certified and learned what the AED was and they were clear that you could put it on a healthy person and it would do nothing.

8. Jul 23, 2012 #8 of 144
    panictivo

panictivo Registered Fool

Mar 3, 2001
    Arden...
    Every season has been MUCH better than the last. I don't think that will be possible this season with the loss of Gus. Every scene with Gus was exciting and unpredictable.

I am tired of the stupidity of Jesse and Walt together. It is their interaction with others that is interesting.

I hope the writers stop doing those obviously physically impossible things like the truck magnet destruction of the evidence room and the AED electrocution.

I think AEDs shock only after detecting ventricular fibrillation or fast ventricular tachycardia heart problems. They can't be used for murder or suicide.

9. Jul 23, 2012 #9 of 144
    TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    Oh God, not another week of bickering over a plot point.

Good episode. Advanced the plot and introduced a new character.

10. Jul 23, 2012 #10 of 144
    rrrobinsonjr

rrrobinsonjr New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern, VA
    BYE!!!!!

11. Jul 23, 2012 #11 of 144
    danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Perhaps the Super-Magnet-Truck was so powerful that it shorted out the safety protocols of the AED in Germany. (That's what I'm going with, anyway, and I hope others are willing to accept this explanation too so we can avoid the AED rabbit hole). Not knowing much about the operation of AEDs (or magnets, for that matter), neither of those have subtracted from my enjoyment of the show. One thing that did stand out to me was how quickly the Pollos sign was being taken down. That didn't seem too realistic, unless the closing of that particular one was preplanned and the timing coincidental.

Generally, I really liked the episode and didn't mind that it was a momentum-building episode. Dominoes have to be set up before they can be knocked down, and this is only episode two of the season.

12. Jul 23, 2012 #12 of 144
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    That wasn't an actual location that was closing down, that was the hallway of Madrigal Electromotive (Food Division) which had signs of all their "brands" of restaurant investments.

Surely, if the owner/CEO of one of your brands was blown up in a huge meth production/dealing ring, that the upper management knew nothing about (except that one guy), surely they would be divesting themselves of all ties as soon as possible.

13. Jul 23, 2012 #13 of 144
    danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Ah, got it - that makes much more sense. I had thought it was a food court-type area, like the type you would see in an airport (or, I presumed, the interior of a major company like Madrigal).

14. Jul 23, 2012 #14 of 144
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I really need to go back and watch season 4 again. But what was the exact relation to Gus was the girl that wanted the 11 killed?

15. Jul 23, 2012 #15 of 144
    nataylor

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    This was the first we've seen of her.

16. Jul 23, 2012 #16 of 144
    nataylor

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    So Gus smartly has his computer encrypted, but he kept the account numbers of his workers' accounts laying around in plain text? That seems like a huge oversight. The DEA really wouldn't have had much to go on if they hadn't found that money.

17. Jul 23, 2012 #17 of 144
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Excellent!

18. Jul 23, 2012 #18 of 144
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Maybe this is a movie reality and not actual reality, but along those lines, why wouldn't have Gus just used "numbered accounts" instead of named accounts? (Like in the movies, usually Bond films) where the Swiss/Cayman accounts are just numbered? If he did that, the DEA wouldn't have had a lead on anyone (Mike, Chow, etc).

Also, despite Gus having the Cayman Island account written down in plain text behind the photo, if it weren't for the Super-Magnet-Truck, the DEA never would have found it. So most of Ep2 was a direct result of the truck caper.

Also, where can I try "Franch"? :)

19. Jul 23, 2012 #19 of 144
    David Platt

David Platt !Texas TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I speculated this in last week's thread. Spoilered because it is based on info external to the show (an interview with Aaron Paul):

He said that their new location was a 'blue collar' location that has been staring them in the face all along. My bet is on the car wash.

20. Jul 23, 2012 #20 of 144
    BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    I think it was just his own account number, which led to the other accounts when the DEA followed the money trail. I doubt he would have wanted to trust that number to memory, so he would have had to write something down, either the number itself or the password to decrypt the encrypted number.

Somebody breaking into his office would focus on his laptop because that would be a source of information, but they would have no idea where to start looking for account information hidden anywhere else (if they even thought to), nor would they have had the time to do so while Gus was alive. So if someone broke in, quickly grabbed his laptop, and ran, they still wouldn't get his account number even in encrypted form.

Once Gus was dead, and the police had the right to thoroughly go though his place, they could find everything he had hidden. But I don't think Gus really cared what would happen to information about him if he ever died.