1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand new Roamio - replacing HD. Procedure question...

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by msteinruck, Oct 23, 2013.

1. msteinruck

msteinruck New Member

Oct 7, 2013
    I have a brand new Roamio, and a brand new internal HD.

Should I swap in the new HD before I even power up the device?
    Or run through the whole set-up on the existing default drive first before replacing it?

Not sure if it mattered, if there was any value to going through a full power cycle with the new unit, or even if there was benefit to starting fresh with the intended larger drive from the first power-up.

Thx.

2. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    You can drop in the new drive for the first power-up, no issues.

3. djjuice

djjuice New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Drop in the new drive first, otherwise you'll have to go through all the setup and updates all over again on the new drive. Drop the new drive in and do it just once.

4. msteinruck

msteinruck New Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Perfect. That was my gut sense, also.
    Brilliant. thank you.

5. NJChris

NJChris Kermie Loves Elmo

May 11, 2001
    Riverdale,...
    That's what I did. Put it in before even starting it up. :) Worked perfectly.

6. JuryDuty

JuryDuty Tivoholic

Jan 10, 2003
    Fort Worth, TX
    I have a 1.5 TB drive from my Tivo 3 HD I was going to put in the Roamio I'm getting today. Will there be any issues with me dropping in a drive with a previous Tivo OS on it? I'm assuming it'll just get wiped out.

(PS Can I tell you how much more awesome this is than the craziness we used to go through booting into Linux on our PCs, copying images, etc, etc...)

7. JuryDuty

JuryDuty Tivoholic

Jan 10, 2003
    Fort Worth, TX
    I just went ahead and tried it, and for anyone who finds this in a search--YES, you can just put in another Tivo's hard drive and it will completely replace what's on it. Was the easiest Tivo upgrade I've ever done. (Except the part where you have to remove the top panel--man, it's stuck on there! LOL)