1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand New Mini already activated?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by thyname, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Jul 1, 2016 #1 of 46
    thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    I bought a Mini on eBay brand new. It is the 93000 with RF remote.

It actually looked brand new, sealed, and everything inside wrapped and pristine. This is not my first Mini, so I can easily tell.

When I tried to activate online, it said this TSN is already activated. I was stunned, tried to call TiVo but they were already closed.

What do I do? Will I have any issues when I call them tomorrow? Will they charge me anything or refuse to activate it for my account?

2. Jul 2, 2016 #2 of 46
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I don't think you'll have an issue.

I would contact the seller and ask what is up with it now.

3. Jul 2, 2016 #3 of 46
    thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    I did immediately. No answer for now

4. Jul 2, 2016 #4 of 46
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    If the seller originally bought it directly from Tivo, it is immediately activated to their account, they may not even realize this if it was never used. Assuming this was a legit purchase you will eventually get the mini transferred to your account even if the seller is uncooperative but Tivo may make you wait a few days to complete the transfer.
    However, if it appears that the mini came directly to you from Tivo, you might be the victim of a scam.
    Even if it is a scam, Ebay/PayPal, will refund your money so don't worry too much. At this point, it is even odds or better that you will be able to use the mini and hopefully, the seller is just unaware how to properly transfer equipment to a new owner.

5. Jul 2, 2016 #5 of 46
    thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Now that you said this, I went back to check the box the Mini came with, and ther is shipping slip that it appears to be coming from TiVo with my name and the address on it. Weird!

Victim of a scam? What can possibly happen?

6. Jul 2, 2016 #6 of 46
    waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Sounds like they used a stolen credit card. What kind of rating did the seller have?

7. Jul 2, 2016 #7 of 46
    thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    He had zero ratings. But he had 5 Minis for sale, all brand new. He also replied to my message when I had a question.

8. Jul 2, 2016 #8 of 46
    waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Zero rating. Alarm bells going off. 5 for sale and yours was drop shipped from TiVo. More alarm bells. Answering a question before the sale or even now means nothing if he is scamming.

I would report this to eBay immediately. Tell them what you know so far and that you think you've been scammed. Tell them that you're still not sure, but you're gathering evidence.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  9. Jul 2, 2016 #9 of 46
    waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Question for the group...

Let's say that thyname is the victim of a scam where the seller was using a stolen credit card. Let's say however, that thyname is able to successfully transfer the Mini and activate it on his account. Let's say that the credit card fraud isn't discovered for a month. Would TiVo retroactively disable the TiVo Mini?

10. GranniePurpyl

GranniePurpyl New Member

Jul 2, 2016
    The same thing happened to me. When I spoke to customer service, we discovered I had entered the wrong SN. The letters on the tag are so tiny, even with a magnifying glass, both my husband & myself mistook the 6s for 5s.

11. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Assuming this is for certain a fraud, yes Tivo will disable the unit and it can take up to 2+ months depending on the credit card's billing cycle. Tivo will then generously;) help you by offering to allow you to fully pay for the mini, including all taxes etc., it comes to about $160+ and no they will not offer you any kind of discount.
    They may well initially activate the mini for you though until they get the charge back from the cc company.
    The good news is that either Ebay or PayPal will refund the full amount you paid. BTW, the ebay seller's rating is meaningless in this situation as the seller's identity has been stolen in full and the account has been completely high jacked.
    On the bright side, you will not be required to return the unit to anyone as their is no one to return it to, so, you have a spare remote, and power supply for your trouble.
    EDIT: What makes this entire scam possible by the way is Tivo's policy to continue to allow purchases to be shipped to an address and name not linked to the credit card.

12. thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Update:

Called TiVo as soon as they opened. It appears that the Mini was in another TiVo account with my name on it. He could not share anything else in terms of the payment, just that it was under a yahoo email address that I don't have. I don't have a Yahoo email address at all. Name and the address on the that account was mine.

He transferred that account to my actual account, and after a few reboots and TiVo connections on Bolt and Mini, it is now working.

I explained the technician (name was Paul) my concern. He said that it is not common the way that this was done, but happens many times (in terms of a third party seller establishing an account for the buyer before selling the TiVo to them being shipped directly by Tivo).

He said I have nothing to worry about for now. As fcfc2 said, if there is a fraud with the financial transaction, TiVo will stop service on the Mini AND either request me to return the TiVo to them, or pay the full price. If that would be the case (again, Paul said nothing to worry for now), then I should seek reimbursement from either Seller or eBay.

Any suggestions? Should I contact eBay immediately, or should I just wait and continue to use TiVo Mini?

Thank you!

13. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    The bolded part is new but I would just keep the unit for the remote and power supply for my trouble.
    I would contact Ebay now but do not be surprised if they seem not too interested or seem to do nothing. Right now you really don't have "proof" that the deal is a fraud and good old Tivo who has the actual credit card information is going to do nothing either. Until the charge back, then you find that your mini will suddenly be deactivated.

14. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Again, I would message eBay so there is a record. Let them know your concerns.

Oh, and in a month or two update this thread.

15. thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Thanks for the advice guys, which I took.

I called eBay and let them know about the suspicion, and requested they make a detailed note on the transaction.

One thing to note is that eBay would not protect anything beyond 30 days from delivery of product. Fortunately, I payed via PayPal whose protection lasts for up to 180 days from purchase.

Hopefully nothing wrong will come out of this. I will make sure I update this thread if it does surface.

16. lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    What did you pay for the mini?

17. thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    $90 shipped

18. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    A very low price and "several available" for a "new" device is a characteristic of a scammer, as they need to get their sales done as fast as possible, before that first charge back occurs and everything comes crashing down.
    The next most important clue is that the item is shipped directly from Tivo, legit retailers do not have items drop shipped from Tivo already activated. They buy in quantity, the items are shipped to them and from them to the purchaser.

19. lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    $90 shipped is more then a 30% discount. Shipped from tivo means you're not dealing with a company looking to dump inventory.

Is it a scam? Maybe. (Probably?)

I don't know the minimum purchase guarantees tivo demands from resellers. Is it possible the seller needed to sell 5 more units during the first 6 months? I'd give it a mythbuster plausible.

20. UCLABB

UCLABB Active Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Almost surely a scam (99.9%). The person who sold it to you would have had to pay much more than $90 to TiVo. If I were you I would try and get eBay to immediately refund your money so you don't have the hassle of finding your Mini dead in a month or two and then trying to explain why it took you so long to deal with the issue.