1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Both my tivo keeps cutting off the last 1-2 minutes of shows

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bobross, Oct 14, 2010.

1. bobross

bobross New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    I'm going through Comcast. My S3 has cable cards and my SAS2 is just coaxial cable. They are both synced with comcast time. Every show I record has the last minute or two cut-off, it's really annoying. You might suggest I "add minutes" but that will clip my other shows. Besides why do I need to do this? It's supposed to work correctly in the first place no? Is this a common problem?

2. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    If you add time it will only clip the next show recording if both tuners are engaged during the time after the extended show. The TiVo will automatically use the free tuner instead of the one on the recording channel, even if the next program to record is on the same channel.

3. bobross

bobross New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    This would not work on my single tuner SAS2. I can't manually set the Tivo time a minute late?

I'm curious why this is even happening, is this common?

4. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    It's done by the networks. They say show x ends at 9pm but actually runs until 9pm plus 30 seconds and the Tivo stops recording AT 9pm. They do it to hold viewers. If you are still watching their show, you will miss the start of another show on a different network and be likely to stay on that channel. At least that is the thinking behind it.

5. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    As another poster said, it is a common tactic of broadcasters. You could set up your season passes and recordings so that the problem shows don't record on the single tuner unit, or set up the conflicting show on the other box.

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Every show? On both machines?

I know shows get padded, but not all of them.

Go here:

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java

Once you get there, change timezone if necessary, although the important part for this is the minutes.

Set a watch to it, then check the time on the system information page on the Tivos. Right arrow to the page, then left arrow to back out, right arrow to reload, at some point the time displayed will change to the next minute. If it doesn't correspond pretty closely with the watch (within a second), something is telling the TiVo the wrong time.

Go straight from cable into TV tuner, check the start of the network, i.e., local ABC, CBS, and NBC *broadcast* affiliates, newscasts at 6:30:00 pm. Cable introduces a delay, but it shouldn't be more than a fraction of a second. If it's more than that, get nasty with Comcast.

7. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    A much easier way to see the current time on the TiVo is to use the following key sequence on the remote:

Select
    Play
    Select
    Select
    Clear

This will turn on the clock display in the lower-right corner of the TV screen. You can turn it back off with the same key sequence.

If the TiVo is rebooted, this setting is also cleared and must be re-entered to turn it back on again.

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    With or without backdoors enabled? 'Cause all I get is it changes channels to channel 9.

9. etz

etz New Member

Sep 8, 2006
    try doing the S-P-S-9-S sequence while playing a prerecorded program instead of LiveTV