1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Globe Tive Premiere Review

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by gostan, Jul 12, 2012.

1. gostan

gostan Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Boston
  2. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Gets trashed in the comments as being to expensive. I do agree with critics saying WTF were they thinking this far into the 21st century by requiring external Wi-Fi adapter clutter?

3. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I dont know any cable boxes with built in wifi. The new Direct TV ones dont either and people have been screaming for years

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    How many desktop computers come with built-in wifi? Personally, I say WTF are people thinking running a fixed device on wifi.

5. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    They're thinking that the router is in a different room in the house than the audio visual equipment with the TiVo. "They" don't want to drill holes in walls to run an ethernet cable. That's SO nineties. :D

6. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    I'm fine with having the options on the Tivo. Too often I've found built-in wireless to be lacking range. With the Tivos I can use ethernet, wireless adapter, or wireless bridge.

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You do know that cable can be run along baseboards and door-frames, don't you?

8. farmermac

farmermac Recorder of shows

Jan 31, 2012
    its a little cheap not to include built in wifi antenna which would cost Tivo a few bucks. Its pretty clear Tivo wants to get the extra $90 on the N adapter

9. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Yup. The IC and antenna would add single digit $ to the product cost. You qualify for a marketing job!
    It's not the overpriced extra item $ for me; it's the extra device, wires and AC plug.

10. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    The worst part of this review is the THREE HOURS it took a COMCAST TECHNICIAN to install the cable card! Tivo/Comcast clearly spent some money on this rollout. There are billboards for it EVERYWHERE. You would think they would have spent a few bucks to train their staff.

Here is the same article with a different title.

Comcast’s TiVo isn’t the ultimate, but it’s close

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2012/07/12/a_most_capable_cable_box/

11. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    But a cable box doesn't NEED WiFi, since they don't have OTT services.

Many Macs have built in wifi. (I know, because the Mac Pro I'm typing on DOESN'T, so Airdrop doesn't work with other computers without setting a special default.)

12. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    That's because Bray didn't do the tedious TiVo setup himself first as TiVo recommends before installing the cable card. The device spends a while downloading and arranging its files all the while with the tech just waiting. Admitedly 3 hours is bit long. In my case, I inserted the card, called Comcast giving them the #s and the tech presumably in India had me going in under 10 minutes.

13. farmermac

farmermac Recorder of shows

Jan 31, 2012
    Not sure what you're getting at but we're making the same point. We agree having a clustertuck solution to wifi like tivo has makes them look cheap, esp when a box w/ lifetime costs $900 retail...All $300 notebooks have wifi built in

14. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Point being you spotted the marketing ploy

15. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    A lot of blu ray players. smart tvs, gaming consoles,tablets, smart phones and content devices like logitech revue and Roku have wifi built in. That's what they were thinking.

16. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    All they did was start including an Airport Extreme card in the build. They didn't have to change the MB. The TiVo equivalent would be to include a wifi adapter.

Has TiVo ever included questions about integrated wifi in any of their surveys? Maybe someone should set-up a TCF survey.

More to the point though - has anyone ever made a TiVo purchase decision based on whether or not it had integrated wifi? Would TiVo recover the design, development, and testing costs?

If they ever do add integrated wifi, I would definitely want it disabled by default.

17. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Has anyone made a purchase decision? I'm not sure, it's probably not THAT big of an issue, but at least on *TV* reviews (e.g. CNET video podcasts), I definitely see them complain that the TVs (and I think some STBs) don't have built in WiFi.

I connect my Tivos via WiFi, and though I'm not 100% sure I could do it if they had built in WiFi (since I'm hooking them to a bridge that's a few feet closer to downstairs rather than being directly in the TV cabinet), I would definitely TRY built in WiFi, and it would make things simpler in general.

18. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Most mid and up Dell desktops have built in wifi now. I would say it's about 50/50 in desktops now. Wireless N is "good enough" for most people.

19. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    The Elite does not NEED a wifi connection, it includes MOCA which is a much better option as the coax cable is already pulled by default for the video signals.

Wifi is a less than great band aid solution that Tivo would rather not support.

I wish the Premiere included MOCA, likely the next generation will.

20. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Most people don't have a MoCa network and don't even know what it is. They would still require extra hardware.