1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bootpage access for upgradesoftware

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Nada, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Nada

Nada New Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to access the bootpage. I have done all of the backups with WinMFS Live using a PATA to USB connection (external hd kit). Now I want to edit the bootpage and add "upgradesoftware=false". I thought that I could do this with WinMFS but I can't seem to find out how to do it.

Do I need to install Debian?--Just to add one little parameter.

Can't I just I copy the bootpage backup that I made with WinMFS and add "upgradesoftware=false" after "root=/dev/hda7" using Notepad and restore that with WinMFS?

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Well, you could run bootpage from a live CD. Updating bootpage, however, will not prevent the TiVo from rebooting every morning in an attempt to implement the upgrade. There is also a limit to the amount of time that can pass before the unit will no longer be able to get schedule updates on an old software rev.

3. Nada

Nada New Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Thank you. I tried making one with Knoppix but I only got a flashing cursor. I will try Ubuntu tomorrow.

Would fakecall.tcl stop the phoning attempts? -- I do want it to get the correct time once and a while just not upgrade the software version.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Even if there's nothing in a text file but a single character, I think Notepad is going to store it as a minumum of 1k in size.

You probably need to do it with a hex editor.

5. ronsch

ronsch Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Tallahassee,...
    If I remember correctly, and that's always a big IF, I believe I always update bootpage from a telnet session while the drive is running in the TiVo using the bootpage command.

6. Nada

Nada New Member

Feb 3, 2013
    I gave up on editing the file in a separate editor. I think that I have changed the bootpage although I haven't put the HD back in the TiVo.

I hope that can get this hacking done without telnet-ing but I will if there is no other way. I've used telnet with non-Tivo stuff and it was a pain. I finally used MFSLive Linux Boot CD with seeming success. Tonight I will try to create and/or edit the rc.sysinit.author file.

7. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    If your tivo is hacked, why do you need to remove the drive to change the bootpage parameter? You should be able to do it via telnet.

8. Nada

Nada New Member

Feb 3, 2013
    The Tivo is not hacked. This is my first time hacking it and I don't like using telnet so I pulled it and I am working on it as an external drive.