1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boot Loop stopped after SMART scan?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by crunchymusic, Jun 18, 2017.

1. crunchymusic

crunchymusic New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    North Cakalacky
    ok so... I rebuilt a Series 3 with a 1 tb hard drive (thanks to the amazing information in this forum!) about 5 months or so ago. Yesterday I got a boot loop- Almost there... and then back to Powering up. Switched over to the backup S3 (tiny hard drive) and ran the SMART scan overnight (big hard drive) and now it is powering up just fine. No clicks from the HD- all seems fine. Any suggestions as to what might have cause it? Did I miss a cap when I rebuilt the power supply? Is the HD going bad? Should I make a backup? I want to switch my cards back over to this one cause of the hd size but afraid it will freak out.

Thanks in advance! 20170618_084735.jpg

2. crunchymusic

crunchymusic New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    North Cakalacky
    Have now rebooted 4 times and it fires right up. About to rip it open and check the caps just to be sure- replaced all but 2 last time when I discovered it was a dead hd NOT the power supply... derp. Still have the 2 replacements sitting here in the lab so I can do that if it flakes but everything is ok now. I know, I know- it's either the power supply or the hard drive. But it's working fine so what gives?

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Sure sounds like the usual power supply issue but not sure how to explain what you are seeing now that it's working. Which 2 did you not replace and which model TiVo and power supply is it (if it's an HD which had 2 types)?

Scott

4. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I have a TiVo power supply that boots the unit up OK during the summer, but when it gets colder, during the winter, reboots take 10-20 tries before getting through. Once it is done booting, it works fine. I have a UPS on the unit and never noticed it until an extended power outage. I changed most of the caps out a while back, but not all of them. None currently look visibly bulging, but caps can go bad without bulging. When they bulge, they tend to go catastrophically bad. When they aren't bulging (but are going bad) the problems can be more subtle.

I've also had hard drives that had bad sectors, remap the bad sectors after scanning. They then worked fine.

5. crunchymusic

crunchymusic New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    North Cakalacky
    Replaced all but two of the 2200uf 6.3v caps- I took a soldering break and tested the HD and lo and behold it was that. So I put in new HD and fired it up. Working fine since then but I expected it to not turn on one day due to those two caps (cause that's my luck!) but it kept on keeping on. I have fired it up 2 more times and it seems to be working fine now. Could the SMART scan have fixed bad sectors that would keep it from booting?

6. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Last time I did it, I just changed it all. The caps were cheap, except the high voltage one (which cost a few bucks, the rest were under a dollar each). Bought two of each just because they were so cheap in the end and compared to shipping, the extras didn't add much.

No reason to just change a few caps. Change 'em all - you don't save much money and it's one less pain to deal with in the future when the rest go. Now mine is full of quality ones and I still have a complete replacement set.

Teeps likes this.
  7. crunchymusic

crunchymusic New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    North Cakalacky
    well now that I have it unhooked I think I will just do the last two and be done with it. But it seems to be firing on all cylinders. Not sure what went wrong but the SMART scan may have cleared the problem.

8. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I would not have expected it to force a remap of bad sectors that should have already occurred in normal use. I'd run the manufacturer's disk test on the drive (read-only one assuming you want to keep the shows) to see what it shows.

Scott

9. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Sometimes those "logical" bad sectors where the data read doesn't match the checksum because of weakened magnetic properties with too many bits for ECC to correct at that time, later on with more aggressive re-reads has enough correct data for ECC to correct and remap with no data loss.