1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bones or Castle? Life after The Mentalist

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tivotvaddict, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Feb 9, 2013 #1 of 41
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict Creatively Challenge

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    My teenage daughter and I find ourselves very sad to be at the end of available Netflix DVDs of The Mentalist. We watch about 20 minutes a day, so t's been a part of our daily viewing for a while....

Bones and Castle seem to be similar. Thoughts on which we should try - or other suggestions? DD occasionally gets nightmares fom The Mentalist so unfortunately nothing more intense (I love, say Dexter or Sopranos but that's not gonna work. :)).

tta

2. Feb 9, 2013 #2 of 41
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I vote Castle.

Both are good shows but if there are nightmares involved then Bones can be sometimes a bit free with decaying skin and bones and body parts. Castle is lots of fun.

3. Feb 9, 2013 #3 of 41
    murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Castle will be especially fun because of the family interaction with Castle, his daughter, and his mom.

4. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Castle is IMO a much more enjoyable series.

5. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    +Castle

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Bones and Castle really aren't that much alike.

But Bones isn't all that much like the books, either.

And, so far, Castle hasn't pulled a big retcon the way Bones did.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I vote Castle.
    Bones is more visual with the gore of dead bodies.

8. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Give up on Bones after season 4. Trust me.

9. jamesl

jamesl Member

Jul 12, 2012

Monk
    Psych
    Elementary

all fun, all good, and I think all more similar to The Mentalist than Bones is

Psych is the only one that has a little romance occasionally going on

neither Monk nor Psych are as gruesome, gory as Bones is (and Bones can be very messy -- decaying bodies wrapped in plastic bags and then the bags cut open and the liquified contents gushing out)

Elementary not very gory but is still in the middle of the first season

Psych and Monk very often mix comedy in with the detective work (Psych's running joke of him making fun of another detective's skepticism and his hard-nose straight by the book style -- Monk's comedy comes from his idiosyncrasies -- fear of germs, heights, small spaces, abandonment, round things, milk)

10. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Castle even though I watch both.

11. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    I've only watched Castle, but I think it's a great show.

Slightly OT, but having only watched an episode or two of The Mentalist: what is it in that show that produces nightmares? Looked pretty tame to me :confused:

12. Test

Test Active Member

Dec 8, 2004
    I would vote Psych then Monk. Especially because the Mentalist seems like it copied a major plot point from Psych which they've made a few jokes about on the show.

Also, both of those are on Netflix Watch Instant.

13. SnakeVargas

SnakeVargas New Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Savage Village
    I would say Castle. It still cracks me up to see the guy wandering around crimes scenes with WRITER written on his vest.

Also check out Burn Notice and Leverage if you havent yet. I was sad to see Leverage canceled.

14. robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Bones went to crap after season 3 (writers strike a few years ago) I dropped it in season 4.

15. mlippert

mlippert New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Castle is a good choice. I might also suggest NCIS (and NCIS is in season 10, so if you like it, there's a lot to catch up on available on DVD). It does occasionally get intense, but I think in a similar ratio to the mentalist.

And for NCIS, like the mentalist, it's the camaraderie of the team which makes the show.

16. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Castle.

Unlike Bones, Castle doesn't see the need to destroy the characters.

17. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I recommend watching Castle in original order because of the character development.

And definitely watch Bones in order to avoid severe confusion considering where some of the characters go.

18. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict Creatively Challenge

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Castle it is!! Although I should consider Psych - she will think that they are cute. :) Monk is another good option. Thanks for the suggestions!

Hard to explain the nightmares. She doesn't have a ton of them, but every so often after an intense episode. It's not the gore, at all - but the fact that characters (ok, mainly Patrick) she's grown to like could be the target of someone who is trying to kill them and that there are really people like some of the villains out in the world. She can watch Saw or any of those icky horror movies without nightmares, but something like Dexter where the guy is posing as a "normal" person would be incredibly unsettling to her. Besides, i want to have something a little more on the light-hearted side if we're watching it every day. :)

Thanks again everyone!
    tta

19. Ozzie72

Ozzie72 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 9, 2008
    Peoria, AZ
    Another vote for Castle, and another affirmation to stop after S3 if you watch Bones. I don't know how they scored enough acid for the whole writing staff, but those guys have been off the rails ever since.

I think the chemistry between Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic is great, and it doesn't hurt that the writers acknowledge Nathan's Firefly past at least once a season. :up;

20. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I agree, you should watch Castle and start with the first showing. However, I would also suggest watching Firefly first if you can get it. I didnt see Firefly until this year and I realise now that there are a lot of things on Castle that are a throw back to Firefly that you will only enjoy if you see Firefly first. If you cant get it done worry the show is great anyways. I think you will enjoy the relationship btween Castle and his daughter.