1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bob Newhart weighs in on Big Bang Theory and laughtracks

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/tv/232057451.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

(Hopefully you don't have to be a subscriber, which I am)

2. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I always wondered where the Emmy was when I went over to play Scrabble at Bob Newharts'.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    That's a fantastic article and even addresses the topic of "what is acting" from our other thread.

It's also nice to hear once again how well grounded Bob Newhart is.

4. Inundated

Inundated Face For Radio

Sep 9, 2003
    Northeast Ohio
    Great article.

And Bob's 84, and can still sell tickets for over $50 a pop for his shows. Talent endures.

5. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
  6. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I loved the Richard Pryor story. :)

Greg

7. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Good article. Laugh tracks suck.

8. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    :up:

I don't care how good the show it, or what it is about. I just cannot watch it if it includes a laugh track.

9. mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    And now we will all be trounced on by rabid fans about how there is no laugh track. It's just sweetened, Bob!

10. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    For my part, I'm not even fond of the live studio audience laughter either. I mean, if you can wonder "is this a laugh track or isn't it?" then whatever's so terrible about one must still apply some to the other. My favorite sitcoms are almost always those which add no laughter at all.

11. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    I used to wonder why people in the audience laugh at things that aren't really laugh-out-loud funny, and then I went to a couple of show tapings.

The shows I saw would film the same scene three times, slightly changing the joke. Sometimes the first time we would hear it would be funny, sometimes the third.

But there is something funnier when you see it live, and in a crowd. Like watching comedians on stage. Much funnier in person, IMO, than seeing it on TV.

So I am sure they pick and choose which part of the audience laughter they want to use.

The show 'Whitney' had a lot of complaints about the laugh-track, to the point that Whitney came out and repeatedly told anyone that would listen that it was filmed before a live audience.

I love how Bob spoke about people playing themselves, and having to memorize lines and hit marks.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, that touches on the point I tried to make in the BBT thread where this came up...if "playing yourself" were so easy, then you wouldn't have all these examples of celebrities playing themselves in a stiff, awkward way.

Acting is acting, even if you've only mastered one character (which a lot of actors do, but if they play that character well, why not?).

13. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I was just watching a clip from the final episode of Newhart (thanks to the link you provided in the BB Finale thread) and the live audience there is completely over the top and distracting. I rarely notice it on BBT.

14. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    That is the best thing about animated humor like The Simpsons. No laugh track. I wish ALL sitcoms had no studio audience or laugh tracks. I find that the 'laughter' contrived as it happens even when there is nothing funny said or done. If it isn't needed for the Simpsons, why is needed for BBT?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laugh_track

15. Inundated

Inundated Face For Radio

Sep 9, 2003
    Northeast Ohio
    Tony Danza, come on down!

[​IMG]

16. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Didn't want to start a new thread... Ken Levine had a Friday question about laugh tracks.

I've said it before, if you are into TV enough to be reading this, you should read his blog daily. http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/

17. pdhenry

pdhenry Safety Pin

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    That's painful.

18. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    They tried filming the Simpsons in front of a live studio audience, but the animators' hands got tired.

19. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Don' cha wonder how they know how long to pause for the laugh? Must be a floor director out there with a countdown clock.

Nah. It's always 3,2,1 "line." 3,2,1 "Line!" 5,4,3,2,1