1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boardwalk Empire S04E12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by type_g, Nov 25, 2013.

1. type_g

type_g Member

Sep 9, 2002
    WOW

Lot of bad people out of the way seems like. Sad to see one go. That last scene was gut wrenching happy for a second and then sad another.

2. KenDC

KenDC Huggy Bear

Jun 18, 2001
    Fredericksbu...
    I need some help on this one. It was so dark in most scenes I didn't know what happened.

Can we have spoilers in here?

3. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
  4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Poor Nuckie. That's twice recently he tried to help Chalky in ways that backfired and made Chalky want to kill him. :D

So Eli's joining the Capone mob. That should be...interesting. I was a little surprised to see Junior G-Man die. I figured he was going to ultimately break bad. He would have made an interesting mobster...

5. KenDC

KenDC Huggy Bear

Jun 18, 2001
    Fredericksbu...
    Did Chauke's daughter get shot and die? It was meant for the doctor but the shapeshooter missed? Did the doctor have control of Chauke's daughter the way he did the other "daughter"?

6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think Narcisse kidnapped Chalky's daughter to compell him to tell him where Daughter was; she didn't seem to be there willingly. She just happened to pass in front of Narcisse as Richard was making his shot. And yes, she died, or at least looked dead at the end.

7. KenDC

KenDC Huggy Bear

Jun 18, 2001
    Fredericksbu...
    Thanks. I don't know if it is my TV but the last two weeks the very dark episodes scenes have been almost impossible to see. I don't seem to have that issue with any other show.

8. gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I was a little confused by the conversation between Narcisse and Hoover. So is Narcisse a fake? Is he not the real Doctor. Is he a "double-agent"?

9. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Hoover was putting the squeeze on Narcisse, trying to turn him into an informant.

I think he's a fake. Even Daughter called him one when she was telling Chalky about him.

10. bsnelson

bsnelson Mid-life anti-crisis in progress TCF Club

Oct 30, 1999
    Allen, TX, USA
    I'm glad it's not just me on the dark thing, I was afraid it was going to be new DLP bulb time soon! :)

The thing with Richard at the end was pretty sad, for sure. His personal life had finally turned him into something other than a cold blooded killer, and it ended up being his undoing.

Overall, while I did enjoy this season, I didn't enjoy it as much as previous seasons. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that the Narcisse storyline wasn't strong enough to be as highly placed as it was, and I'm ready for something else. I'd like to see Nucky really kick some ass again, but it's probably not going happen (at least not like the "old days").

Either way, I'll almost certainly keep watching.

Brad

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    So Richard was dead at the end? I was a little unclear about that. The character I felt most bad for all season was Chaulky. Poor guy had nothing go right from the second Narcisse came on the scene. I thought it was a pretty good season, and I'm looking forward to more.

Edit: Reading the link above confirmed Richard died. So sad.

12. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Also from the article...they mention that Nucky would have killed Eli. They did that so well that honestly I wasn't sure. When Will asks if he would have done it toward the end of the episode, Nucky insinuates that he wouldn't have, but, it seems that was just for Will's benefit.

13. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Enjoyed this episode, and really enjoyed this season. About my only complaint with this show (in the past) has been how each year is a season-long setup for the action of the final 2-3 eps. It always ends up satisfying, but I sometimes feel like it's a slog to get there.

This year changed that. I thought each week was much more engrossing. I didn't need to wait for a payoff, as every week brought it. Especially loved the Chalky/Narcisse story line.

Richard's death was incredibly moving. Who would have thought we'd be mourning a serial murderer? Just shows how well written his character was, and what a job Jack Huston did with it. I do agree it was the thing to do; his character had reached its end. Unlike say Homeland where a certain character was kept alive, because of the incredibleness of the actor, instead of dying as the story dictated (purposely vague for spoiler reasons), here they did the right thing. Sad, but still the right thing.

Looking forward to next season.

14. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Maybe the best part of the show is that these characters are very complex. There's good and bad in all of them, and at times they show both, and sometimes in the same scene. Chaulky for instance is a family man and ruthless bootlegger. All of the things Nucky did for Margaret. Even Eddie turned out to have a very dark past and there was more to him than Nucky's bumbling butler. I really enjoy well written mob stories, that aren't cliche, and this one really is up there.

15. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    You, too?

I've been blaming my dim RP TV but it's even dark on the web.

When there was the panic with everyone running out of the Onyx Club I could just see a few portions of white faces.

These guys should try watching on a TV and not film.

16. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I wish they had killed Narcisse and Richard could live happily ever after, but that's what makes continuing dramas.

Hint: J. Edgar was a racist. He bugged Rev. Martin Luther King.

Funny that by the time of the FBI TV show he was proudly saying they made organized crime the FBI's #1 enemy. Whatever is up in the polls.

They didn't push too much that Al suspected Torio.

I was gonna mention that all that had to happen was Eli seeing Van Alden in Chicago. Now he has. I'll bet they agree to keep Van Alden's past secret, and that gives Eli something to hold over him, since Van Alden is wanted by the feds in Atlantic City.

17. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I had the same problem. I wondered if that was by design, to add to the confusion.

18. Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    They're both in the same boat...killed a Fed and on the lamb. They'll respect each other's secrets.

19. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    RIP Richard Harrow. He was one of my favorite characters on the show.

20. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Harrow's death echoed a classic Twilight Zone epsiode "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" (which was made from an Ambrose Bierce story).