1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boardwalk Empire S04E01 OAD 09/08/2013

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by bsnelson, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Sep 8, 2013 #1 of 36
    bsnelson

bsnelson Mid-life anti-crisis in progress TCF Club

Oct 30, 1999
    Allen, TX, USA
    Damn, what an awesome episode! :)

well, I'm sure it will be, it's never disappointed me

Brad

2. Sep 8, 2013 #2 of 36
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    That was mean. :(

Looking forward to it, although I'll probably not see it until tomorrow afternoon.

3. Sep 8, 2013 #3 of 36
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It's more than an hour until airtime.

By the power vested in me by absolutely nobody, I hereby ban you for life.

;)

4. Sep 8, 2013 #4 of 36
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Let's agree to disagree.;)

As much as I like this show, one of the frustrating things to me is how slow it starts. Unlike other cable dramas, where each show is enjoyable to watch, I find BE to be maddeningly slow in buildup, and I sometimes have to make myself watch. So far, I've enjoyed how each season has ended, to the point I come back the next year, as the payoff is worth it.

But the day will come when I can't take it any more, and they will lose one viewer.

And this, BTW, is why one doesn't start threads before thread-time. They get filled with the endless rants of the hoi polloi, instead of actual comments on the show we just watched.:p

5. Sep 8, 2013 #5 of 36
    Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    Sigh.. I dread the day when slower paced story telling dies in favor of ADHD story telling.

6. Sep 8, 2013 #6 of 36
    Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    Oh, and Brad, you suck.

7. Sep 8, 2013 #7 of 36
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Same here.

8. Sep 8, 2013 #8 of 36
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    Oh I almost forgot this was tonight. Thanks and BIH Brad! :p

9. Sep 8, 2013 #9 of 36
    Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I always record the premium channel shows like this on the west coast feeds so they don't interfere with other things I want to record during local prime time. I don't know what the hell that has to do with anything here. It just came to mind when Rob mentioned it was over an hour until it starts. For me it records well after my bedtime, but it's one of those shows that I watch as soon as possible the next day.

10. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    There's a difference between slower-paced, and meandering. And there are pacings in between lethargic and ADHD. Many shows manage to find that sweet spot. My comment is that BE tends to one end of the spectrum. Doesn't mean I prefer the other end. And this is an opinion shared by others:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...e-is-back-to-playing-by-the-book-for-season-4
    In fact, it's interesting to note that this reviewer found this season taking off at a faster pace than previous seasons, and found this worthy of note. Positive note.

Again, these are just opinions. We all have them.

But hey, it's time to discuss the show!

11. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    Fast enough for you? :p

12. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    TL;DR ;)

13. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Yes! I thought this was an excellent start to the season. And it's good to see Chalky have a prominent role. I've always thought he was underused. Same with Nucky's brother (name?). Seems like he will be playing a bigger part.

And one can never have too much Alphonse Caponi.:D

Did AR seem abnormally pale?

14. fmowry

fmowry Active Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I was a bit confused about Harrow and the insurance agents he killed in the first scene and the guy sitting at his desk that he shot in the head. I can't remember what that is about or why he is going after them.

15. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    So, no Margaret this season, or ever?
    (yay)

16. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yeah, me too. I was wondering what that's about. Seems he has some vendetta on that insurance agent.

Nice start to the season with just he right amount of gratuitous sex and violence. I've realized this is one show I can't watch while my daughter is around, and she' now 14!!. Chaulky's assistant...wow, that's some way to murder someone. But I could see that if I was in his shoes, why he did that. Especially after the wife set it up that her husband's a cheater.

I wonder what they are going to do with Darmity's mom? She's selling the big house, but what then?

So Nucky makes peace with the NY Mob. Was AR just the intermediary? I loved his line about the odds of Nucky trying to kill him. That was awesome.

17. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    She is in the opening credits but I suspect it will be only here and there.
    They didn't show Van Alden either but he will be back.

18. fmowry

fmowry Active Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    They showed Van Alden in the real quick recap from last season right before the show and in the context I was assuming we'd see him in this episode. Margaret was only shown in the scene where the dead dude in the box was delivered to Nucky.

19. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    YAY! Eddie Kessler is ALIVE!
    but he still doesn't have a personal life.

"You should leave."

I gotta read up on what Harrow had against those real estate guys. They foreclosed on his sister's home?

Lucky Luciano is in the fold in the Italian outfit.

20. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I like how the lieutenants for Torrio and Rothstein, Lucky Luciano and Meyer Lansky become big time gangsters in their own right (and of course Capne too).

I felt bad for the newspaper guy when Capone came for a visit to scare the crap out of him for spelling his name wrong. That guy would have crapped his pants in real life.