1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blackfish on CNN 10-24-2013

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MPSAN, Oct 23, 2013.

1. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Just a quick note...
    CNN is playing Blackfish on Thursday, October 24th at 9 Eastern, but I also see it at 6PM Pacific. There is an Anderson Cooper 30 min special following, but does not seem to be in the guide yet!

2. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Doug Benson has talked about this a lot lately. I want to see it. Thanks for the heads up.

3. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I am seeing the Ac special in my directv guide. It is on at 10:30pm ct, and 1:30am ct on Friday.

4. Swirl_Junkie

Swirl_Junkie New Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Philly, PA
    Yeah, I've been wanting to see this. I heard about it on Doug Bensons podcasts too. Thanks for the heads up.

The Anderson Cooper special is 11 pm eastern on the directtv app.

5. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Well, I did a manual record for AC at 8PM Pacific time, so I should get it.

Not sure if it is on the TIVO.COM site as tivo.com is almost useless lately as it is so slow!

6. Swirl_Junkie

Swirl_Junkie New Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Philly, PA
    I found this documentary pretty compelling. One sided, but it was really well done. "The Cove" is pretty good, if you enjoyed this.

7. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I didn't see it as one-sided, even though SeaWorld didn't want to participate. They get their responses through media reports, so there was some representation of their "facts", which clearly reeked of "spin".

Good work by Cowperthwaite (doc producer) on locating one of the sea cowboys who originally captured Tillikum 30 years earlier and getting his story.

The former trainers sounded like former Scientologists in that they spouted the corporate "facts" about orcas while they worked there, but have since opened their eyes to the truth and are ashamed of their younger naivete in perpetuating SeaWorld's mistruths.

8. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I'm looking forward to watching this, recording a reairing tonight.

9. Zevida

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    What a powerful film. And so sad. The videos of them capturing the orcas in the 70s is heartbreaking. To see the whole pod there desperate to get the baby back but unable is so sad. Same with the orca whose baby was moved to another park.

It really underscores that the animals do not belong in captivity and should be released or moved to ocean pens, period. At the least, they should stop breeding them. Hopefully the more these stories get out, the worse it will be for SeaWorld's business.

10. Swirl_Junkie

Swirl_Junkie New Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Philly, PA
    I agree zevida, its a powerful film. But where do you draw the line? Is it just large oceanic mammals? Is it elephants too? Gorillas and chimps? How about pets? It raises a lot of questions for me.
    I lived on the coast in Florida for much of my life. I know the good work Sea World does. . I wouldn't have the same fascination with orcas, or dolphins had I not seen them in captivity. I've been to Alaska and seen them in the wild, and while its awesome, you only see about 10 percent of the whale. It's not the same.
    I think Sea World is doing themselves a great disservice by not speaking out. They knew this was coming.

11. Zevida

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Just large oceanic mammals would be a start. Any animal where we cannot recreate something similar to their natural habitat. I don't think we should keep elephants in paddocks that would be similar in size to you never being able to leave your bedroom. We do, unfortunately, need sanctuaries, but we shouldn't be breeding them to live their lives in tiny enclosures.

I struggle with it with domesticated animals as well. I'm an avid horseback rider, but don't know if I will ever own another horse as long as I live in California. I think it is unethical how most horses are kept out here - a social creature meant to live in a herd with other horses roaming miles a day is kept isolated, unable to even touch another horse, and in a 20'x20' pen.

We can't save the world. And we don't have to worry about the slippery slope. We can decide that orcas in captivity is just not right based on their size, lifestyle and intelligence and do the right thing for them.

12. Swirl_Junkie

Swirl_Junkie New Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Philly, PA
    Have you seen "The Cove" yet? It's about the selection process for dolphins, and the mass killings of those not selected.

I am unsure how I feel about terrestrial mammals , or just animals, but this movie got me thinking about all of it.

13. Zevida

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Yes, I've seen The Cove. :( :( :(

Just brutally heart-breaking.

14. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    Da%@ it, I wanted to see this and I let it get by without recording and my guide isn't showing any more showings. It's not on Neflix or Amazon streaming, so hoping I can find it somewhere. I do see that The Cove is available for rent via Amazon streaming, so I may check that out as well.

15. Swirl_Junkie

Swirl_Junkie New Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Philly, PA
    The Cove is a pretty graphic film. Just so you know.

16. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003

Thank you for the warning. I was going to see if my daughter (13) wanted to watch these with me, so I may skip that one.

Is Blackfish okay for her age bracket? I was able to find it via 'alternative methods'. ;)

17. Swirl_Junkie

Swirl_Junkie New Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Philly, PA
    It's really sad, and they show tilikum and the collection of his sperm ( which many may find hard to watch). I don't think they really show anyone violently killed, but its the focus of much of the movie. They do show mammal vs mammal kills, like animal planet.

18. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Active Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Zevida, the horse ranches in Morgan Hill have lots of horses together. I have a few near my house and I see them in the fields :)

19. Zevida

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Yeah, my horse was at a place in Gilroy for a bit that had horses in fields - it's just hard to find and to also have good quality care, safe fencing (not barbed wire), facilities for riding, a trainer who instructs, etc. So it's a trade-off. It's definitely easier to find in Morgan Hill/Gilroy than on the Peninsula. My horse is retired now in a pasture in Watsonville - but no riding facilities, just for retired horses.

20. Zevida

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    CNN has an encore scheduled for Sat 11/2 at 9pm Eastern.