1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BIG problems with Comcast! Need advice.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by dafish721, May 7, 2012.

1. dafish721

dafish721 New Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Day 18... Have had Tivo since 2000 so I am pretty Tivo savy. Upgraded to 2 new Tivo premieres, 1 is XL4, after Tivo 3 HD froze. Since installing cable cards in the new Tivos I have been unable to get HBO on any of the channels. Called Comcast and had many technicians trouble shoot over the phone with no results. So far in the past 18 days I have made 23 phone calls, 5 tier 2 techs included, to Comcast and have had 5 different service techs in my house plus one supervisor. I have even returned the XL4 (premier elite) for a new one. Comcast finally has all channels including HBO working on the regular premier.

It gets worse... 4 days ago the XL4 has all channels black with no signal. Reran guided setup and got all channels back except HBO. 2 days ago lost all digital channels. Now I only receive NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX but no "extended basic" channels. 2 techs and a supervisor latter and still nothing. Tech just left after he had Comcast completely remove me as a customer and then add me as a new customer to wipe out all rate codes and the like and still only broadcast TV. TV upstairs still gets all channels just fine. I have gone through 6 cable cards including unpairing the one that works upstairs and repairing with the XL4 and no change. They say everything on their end is checking out fine. Only thing that is different since losing "extended basic" is that under the cable card menu under conditional access the Con used to say Yes and now is says No and the Val used to say V and now it says ?.

I live in the Chicagoland area. Does anyone else have cable cards that I can switch to and get rid of Comcast. Does AT&T?

Anyone else have this problem and know of a solution?

2. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    That's pretty much a sure sign that the card isn't paired properly. Do you get "Yes" and "V" on the working Premiere?

3. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Nobody else but RCN(?) has Cablecards. Your only alternative is OTA or AT&T SD with a* Series 2.

I dumped Comcast and made that leap. The UVerse whole house DVR is only second best to TiVo but way better than any other DVR. I'm saving a ton vs. Comcrap.

4. dafish721

dafish721 New Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Yes the other tivo has Yes and V and is working fine.

5. GoEagles

GoEagles New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    This will seem like a long shot, BUT, there was a recent issue with HBO encrypting their content that required HDCP, and certain TVs didn't implement this correctly in some TVs, or with older TVs that had HDMI.

I suspect you are hooking this up via compoent cable and the HBO scheme requires proper encryption or whatever via HDMI. I only mention because you mention HBO specificially.

Read this article:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ectv-subs-will-need-new-gear-to-watch-hbo.ars

This may help or not, just something to throw out there. Yes, I know this involves DirecTV, but you MAY be affected by something like this possibly.

HTH

6. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What the hell are you talking about?

All 'regular' cable providers provide cable cards -- Comcast, Verizon FIOS, Time Warner, etc.. There are some exceptions for VERY small cable companies, but it is generally an FCC requirement.

7. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    It's a Comcast problem. Somehow, they're not pairing the card correctly.

He was answering the OP's question about alternatives to Comcast in Chicago.

8. dafish721

dafish721 New Member

Dec 7, 2005
    After 12 years with many different Tivos I have now decided after all the headaches this new XL4 is causing me that I am making the decision to dump Tivo and am going to go to Direct TV. It is a fraction of the cost of Comcast and I hope to have no problems like this Tivo has brought me.

I have been reading through the many many posts that talk about the XL4 and premier elite, same thing, dropping channels and that this is really a Tivo problem that has not been fixed.

9. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Send an e mail to: we_can_help@comcast.com
    I had a problem with losing channels and they helped a lot. They even gave me a $50 a month reduction in my rate for 12 months because of all the problems I went thru.