1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Bang Theory "The Romance Resonance" S7E6 10/25/13

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Oct 25, 2013.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Great episode. All three romances had some airtime, and some progress.

[Raj--at least he had a scene talking to Penny. Can we get the boy a gf already?]

The song at the end... incredible, moving. And almost as amazing as Penny's dress.;)

Sheldon: "Sheldon Cooper does not get lucky!"
    Amy: "You and me both, brother."

Leonard: "Is that a pregnancy test?"
    Penny: "Oh yeah, just the first one. I didn’t save them all."

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Just read Alan Sepinwall's review after a started this thread, and he had some info on the song...

3. Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Who knew Simon Helberg was so good on the keyboard?

Just like Skinny Pete.

It sure didn't look like he was faking it.

4. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    He's not. There's an episode way back where he's singing at The Cheesecake Factory and he's really wailing.

About this episode. I had having psych pulled on me.

5. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Simon was one of the co-stars in "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog," playing the character of Moist, a henchman of sorts for Dr. Horrible (Neil Patrick Harris). When they released the DVD, the cast and crew recorded an all-musical commentary, "Commentary! The Musical!" Simon contributed a song to this, in which he played his own keyboard accompaniment:

(To hear him solo, FF to 1:30)

6. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I'm a little disappointed that the rest of the gang didn't bring their instruments with them to the hospital.

7. Anubys

Anubys KMT Soccer Playa

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    :shrug:

hated the song...it went on for way too long...30 seconds would have been more than enough.

But, damn, that blue dress in the background was mesmerizing.

8. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    Especially when I saw Amy with her harp. I wonder, though, whether the other actors can actually play the designated instruments we saw each one with. (Poor Penny, only able to contribute a tambourine.)

9. Gregor

Gregor Active Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Actually, I thought the sight gag of Penny with a tambourine as opposed to the other instruments was pretty funny.

10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, a web search indicates that Johnny Galecki is indeed a cellist, although I can't find any video of him playing outside the show. His IMDB bio says he learned in his 20s.

We already know that Simon Helberg can play the piano.

We've seen Jim (as Sheldon) play the recorder on the show, although that's not too hard. (Jim also plays the piano, BTW.)

Mayim says that she really did learn the harp for the show. She says "I have played piano my whole life and also can play bass guitar, so the harp was basically those mixed together with some very fancy fingerwork."

I can't find any indications that Kunal Nayyar can play the ukulele. (His character's former girlfriend, Kate Micucci, can though.)

Kaley, BTW, can play drums, so a tambourine is probably fitting for her. :)

11. Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Why is that a sight-gag? She just didn't play an instrument, not sure that was a "gag".:confused:

And yes, the song went on way too long.. it was like the writers were "hey, this is pretty funny, let's keep see how many science puns we can come up with!". I agree, it should have been about half as long as it was.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It's an old joke (well, not really a joke, more of a truism) dating back at least to the 60s. You have a band, you want a stunning woman in it, she can't play any instruments, she can't sing...let her play tambourine!

So in that regard, Penny falls into an old and funny tradition (funnier because it's pretty much obsolete in an age when talentless women [and men, but the tambourine girl was always a woman] have such grander ways of achieving fame and fortune).

13. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Active Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I enjoyed the song Enough so that I went back and watched it again. I found it sweet, and heartfelt. The way the actors portrayed that scene (Howard and Bernadette) just made me tear up. It was great. I loved the Joss Whedon shout out.

14. alauppe

alauppe New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Michigan
  15. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    Okay, I'm one of those who always felt Kaley's "hawt" rating to be very exaggerated, but this just gained her two or three notches. :)

16. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Loved the song just the way it was. Fun episode.

17. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    That was the best sitcom love song since Woody sang the Kelly song.

18. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I remember rewinding to see if they explained that or if I was missing a section of the show (I wasn't)..

19. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    e.g. Linda McCartney (right?)
    at least one of the kids in The Partridge Family...
    ????

20. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Linda played keyboards (or she at least stood behind one).

Tracy Partridge played tambourine. Veronica Lodge played tambourine for the Archies, Davy Jones for the Monkees, and Stevie Nicks for Fleetwood Mac.

Playing lead tambourine is a lost art.