1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better Cable Card Set-up

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by Emacee, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Emacee

Emacee New Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    There has to be a better way to set up a new Comcast with an M-cable card than calling the cable company and reading off numbers on the phone. I recently set up a new box: Spent half a day (on and off) on the phone before they agreed to send out service rep. The cable card can talk to the cable company to order on demand programming. It should be able to send set-up and diagnostic information, also.

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thats not now a cable card works. It's a one way device.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Do you know what the field rep will do? Call someone in the back office.

Were you talking with the cablecard hotline folks? They are better than a normal CSR (but not always).

Before dealing with a field rep, I would escallate to a higher level. Their CARES group has more leverage than a phone rep. No need for a trip unless you have bad signal levels.

4. ramblinche81

ramblinche81 New Member

Oct 6, 2012
    I am on my fourth TiVo install in last four months. No issues at all working with Comcast CCard team.

The card either works, or not, if the card doesn't work during initial load and install and give channels within 40minutes, don't waste your time, replace it.

The failure rate for the cards seems to be higher than anyone would expect.

One of my boxes did take three cards. The first two failed. Fortunately, I already had two boxes working so I was comfortable with the pairing and start up processes.

5. csm10495

csm10495 Badoop Badoop!

Nov 15, 2008
    I believe that Comcast On Demand is delivered via an internet connection. It doesn't use the cablecard for sending those signals. Comcast is one of the only providers to allow the TiVo to access on demand. In the future maybe card activation could occur automatically over the web, and yet once that happens, what would be the point of the card? The channel authentication (what the card does) could also be done online. Providers won't like this because they won't have a reason to charge TiVo users any type of equipment fee.