1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Way to Upgrade HD Tivo on $99 Year Service?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by naranja, Aug 4, 2014.

1. naranja

naranja Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I currently have a Tivo Premiere with lifetime service and an HD Tivo that has been renewing on the $99 a year service plan. I just got the Tivo email reminding me that my hd is about to renew for a year.

I'd like to upgrade the HD to either a Premeire or the OTA capable Roamio. I'm looking for a "deal". I don't mind buying used or threatening canceling or paying up for a discounted lifetime plan. The easiest thing would be to pick up a used Premiere and replacing the HD on the $99 plan but last time I checked that wasn't an option.

Any suggestions for a plan of attack to get a newer Tivo and service cheapest way possible? or alternatively get lifetime on the HD? Thanks.

2. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Call and ask if you have enough equity in the HD to qualify for 99 lifetime, I'm sure you will.

3. squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Get the $99 lifetime on the TiVo HD and then sell it and buy a lifetime Premiere 2-tuner. Their prices on eBay have come close to converging in some cases. But buying on eBay is safe while selling is not.

Since you have a lifetime Premiere, it's quite plausible you would want to cancel an annual subscription HD so just tell them that's what you want to do.

4. naranja

naranja Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Thanks! I just called in and got the $99 lifetime on the HD. The rep told me that if my hd tivo breaks with in the first three years of lifetime I'll be able to transfer service to a new box. Since they no longer have HD's I would be able to get a premier with only a $50(?) fee...not totally clear. Anyway that may be another option for me and once the HD is on lifetime I'll check into that further. Meanwhile I'll start brushing up on Ebay tivo pricing. Thanks again.

5. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    So wait, if your HD breaks you can transfer the lifetime to a premiere for only $50? Do you own a hammer?

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'd be sure I got that part in writing before doing anything that can't be undone.

7. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Your TiVo HD should "break" sooner rather then later, that's a good deal. See what you could get on a Roamio??

8. naranja

naranja Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I go to Lifetime in October, I'll report back on my luck upgrading then.