1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to access & play 2tb movie collection?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Shanezam203, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I have a Tivo & Apple TV and I'm curious how best to access the media on my Mac or PC. I upgraded to Tivo Desktop Plus and I am able to play a lot of movie file formats which is nice, but with Tivo the process is the movie needs to be transfered to the Tivo hard drive vs. just streaming correct?

Apple TV is nice but the media needs to be in iTunes or .m4v format. What I like about Apple TV is it is accessible quickly on wireless network and doesn't need to transfer + take-up space on another unit. Any other suggestions like a Western Digital WD TV Live Streaming Media Player? But then I'd need a WD box in addition to my Tivo & Apple TV. :confused:

2. pmiranda

pmiranda New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    PyTivo on my aging PC transfers DVDs faster than real time. It's all I use for movies unless its Netflix streaming or bluray. I have a little over 1TB of un-recompressed DVDs.
  3. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    I'm sorry to hear you wasted your money on TDT+.

PyTivo is a vastly superior solution, and pyTivo + vidmgr just blows the doors off TDT.

If you really need streaming, StreamBaby does it, but I find the 1G file limit to be unacceptable. I don't find the fact the video is copied to the hard drive with pyTivo to be a significant limitation.

What's more, since both are written in Python, they should run on just about any platform you can imagine, including Linux, OS/X, or even OS/2, AIX, Solaris, or VMS.

I have over 12T of video files - more than 1800 files, and vidmgr works great: