1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best TV Pilots of all time

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mwhip, Sep 20, 2006.

1. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Regardless of how the show turned out what shows would you say had almost perfect pilots? Mine are:

Six Feet Under
    ER
    The Shield
    Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

2. PeternJim

PeternJim New Member

Sep 25, 2004
    I know it is recent, but I have to say the pilot for My Name is Earl is one of the best I've seen, set the tone for the show, all the characters were fully developed out of the gate, it holds up on rewatching, and I swear I nearly hurt myself laughing while watching it.

Nobody else will say it, but the pilot for Charlie's Angels was amazing. I've never stopped wondering what the show would have been if they'd actually done the show the pilot hinted at. Certainly not one of the best ever, but one of the most disappointing executions of a great idea.

3. etemple

etemple New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    Sparkle City
    ALIAS; I always loved the Roswell pilot, and I really liked watching felicity again the other day on the WB finale . . .

4. DougF

DougF Active Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I rewatched the pilot for "Earl" last week. It is very good, but Randy was quite different in the pilot, IMO.

5. ireland967

ireland967 Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Chicago

6. AJRitz

AJRitz Princess Anti-Santa

Mar 25, 2002
    Overland...
    My top three in recent memory:
    Lost
    My Name Is Earl
    Alias

7. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    The real pilot for Firefly was a great introduction to the characters.

8. deezel629

deezel629 Active Member

May 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Another vote for The Shield.

9. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    Firefly
    Alias
    West Wing
    Studio 60
    Sports Night.

10. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I forgot about 24 and Alias. Eventhough I do not like what those shows turned into their pilots were awesome.

11. modnar

modnar Active Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Arkansas, USA
  12. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
  13. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    the 1st half of the 1st season of 24 was awesome TV. The initial order was for 12 episodes and I think that is all they expected to have to do, so the last half of the season felt a bit tacked on.
    Still lots better than anything else that was on at the time.

14. RoundBoy

RoundBoy New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    The Whedon one or the Fox one ??

:p

15. AJRitz

AJRitz Princess Anti-Santa

Mar 25, 2002
    Overland...
    I really don't think Firefly can count for this debate. Yes, the REAL pilot was awesome. But that pilot was never shown to the public as the pilot. Instead, Train Job stands as the pilot. While Train Job is a perfectly good episode of an excellent show, it doesn't stand up as a top-tier pilot.

16. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Arrested Development

Miami Vice

17. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
  18. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I think one of the great TV pilots was Steve Zodiac and his crew of "Fireball XL5".
    Oh ... you mean pilot episodes ... ;)

Y'know, the pilot episode of "Fantasy Island" was pretty darn good. Or was that a television movie which resulted in the television series? I'm not sure. But the one I'm talking about featured Rourke and Tatoo, and the guest star was Hugh O'Brien as a man whose fantasy was to hunt the most elusive prey, and wound up being hunted himself.

19. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...

I wish I had a counter arguement for this but in the end, I have to agree with you.

I'll say that Lost had a good premeire. Pilots are tricky things though. Sometimes the pilot isn't a good indication of where the show will go once it really starts it's journey. I've been watching Vanished and I think that had a good premeire. Not something that I would put on the "all-time" list though.

I do consider the BSG mini series to be the pilot for that show and in that respect, the BSG mini series was excellent. Without the success of the mini series, we wouldn't have the series at all.

20. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston