1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Solutions for Adding Storage to PC for Tranferred Tivo Programs?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Ariette, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Ariette

Ariette New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Can Tivo programs on my PC be put into a cloud/ online storage service and then accessed again on PC and Tivo?

What specs should I look for in external hard drives for my PC Tivo programs? Do I have to have eSata or is USB enough?

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I wouldn't do that -- these are insanely large files we're talking about. Theoretically, though, sure, if they give you that much space, and you don't mind the wait (since transfer times would be limited by your Internet speed).

Other than that, storage is storage. There aren't any special requirements for storing video -- except that, since the files are so large, you don't want to use FAT as the filesystem. (But it shouldn't be a problem to reformat any drive you get.)

3. Puppy76

Puppy76 Active Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Ditto to everything wmcbrine just said. You COULD store it on someone's server somewhere, but...yikes. Just buy an external Seagate or Western Digital drive if you're trying to store more shows.

4. hershey4

hershey4 New Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    I tried today to set my Tivo Desktop "My Tivo" folder to a folder on a network drive (NTFS) attached to my router and it wouldn't allow it. When I browsed to that folder as part of changing my folder preference, the "OK" button got greyed out. Maybe because it was network?

I wanted to get the Tivo files off my local hard drive because I don't need them taking up space in my image backups. I can do periodic backups manually as needed.

However, I did copy some Tivo files to the network drive anyhow. But only Windows Media Player could open them -- not Tivo Desktop, so its not the same. But it might be good enough. I'm trying to decide whats best for my usage. I think my Tivo can see that drive too so that might be useful for tv playback -- but not for pc usage.

Plus, USB for transfer is less than ideal.

5. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    Desktop won't let you set a network drive as the default location. It has to be physically attached to the computer. If you create a shortcut from My TiVo Recordings to the network folder Desktop will be able to see the files, it just won't put new recordings there.

6. Ariette

Ariette New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Transfer times? Are we talking about transfer times from PC to Cloud or from Cloud back to PC/ Tivo or both?

How long of difference in transfer times? I guess PC to external drive would take only minutes, while PC to cloud would take hours, like Tivo to PC using Desktop?

As far as cost goes, Bitcasa is now offering unlimited cloud storage for $49-$99 a year. See C|NET Article. What are peoples' opinions about Bitcasa?

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    For most people, PC to cloud would be much slower than TiVo to PC (which, yes, is already slow enough).

8. Ariette

Ariette New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    So, wouldn't PC to Cloud be too slow for anything? Wouldn't it be too slow for docs, photos, etc. too? If so, is cloud a good choice for any type of storage?

I have Comcast Performance High Speed Internet. I'm not sure exactly what my speed is or where to find that out.:confused:

9. Ariette

Ariette New Member

Aug 27, 2005

Before my previous post, I had started this new thread about Bitcasa. Not sure if Bitcasa or my new thread will be useful to anyone, but here's the New Thread.

10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Those are infinitely smaller than video files (especially the full-res MPEG-2 files you get from a TiVo).

11. hershey4

hershey4 New Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Why not? Is that a bug? I don't see any difference.

From my Tivo, I could see the network drive as well as my PC's "My Tivo Recordings" and both of them behaved identically. I expected to see a PLAY button but both only had a TRANSFER (then play) button. They both could transfer as fast or faster than real time so I could watch immediately.

On the PC, WMP accesses and plays from either location. So now I'm not sure of any benefit of keeping them inside the Tivo Desktop.

BTW, my new router had some "tivo-friendly" network feature available but I didn't pay a lot of attention to it at the time. Now I see it could really be useful if Tivo Desktop would let me use it.

12. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    Early versions did let you do that, but it caused so many problems they finally added code to prevent it. If the default location is unavailable for any reason Desktop crashes hard.

13. pmiranda

pmiranda New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I'm pretty sure my tivo desktop works with network storage in windows, although it's on an assigned drive letter and fast (local Gb ethernet). But it's much easier to add a couple TB internal drive to a PC chassis, or if you don't have a spare bay, an external USB or eSATA one. Fast and easy. But first make sure you can actually transfer shows back and forth. My cableco restricts copy on all but the local over-the-air channels.

14. hershey4

hershey4 New Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    I just tried assigning a drive letter but TD still knew it was network. :-(

maybe for some folk! not for me!!!

Because I don't transfer too often, I think copying the .tivo files out of Desktop location to the network device won't be so bad. I can't see any advantage to keep them in their original location. For regular usage, this would probably not be a good solution, but for me, I think will be ok, but I still think TD should allow it.

I can't think of anyway to point to the cloud though. That does seem like a valid place that should work -- local wifi or internet shouldn't make much difference.

15. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Its a huge difference in access speed. Transfer the show to a local drive and then store it where you want.

Oh, and since you mentioned Comcrap intenet, your total transfer quantitiy is limited to about 300GB a month. This includes up and down. Moving video files around will eat that up pretty quick.

16. hershey4

hershey4 New Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Hmmm... didn't know that. Actually I have Chartercrap internet not Comcrap. They probably have a similar limit. Does that limit include a local network device? Moving files from my harddrive to my network device isn't using wifi.

17. Puppy76

Puppy76 Active Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Regarding USB, even USB 2.0 is in the 25MB/s range, which is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY faster than virtually anyone's Internet connection. USB 3.0 drives are more like 100MB/s (at least my Seagate drives are), which is basically equivalent to having it plugged in locally.

Or days, or weeks, or months...

Assuming you had some kind of storage that could actually handle that, which would cost a fortune, and assuming you have an unlimited ISP, and most people don't. Not to mention the security implications involved.

It's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY cheaper, easier, faster, and safer to just use your own drives.

It's only okay for things where you don't care if they're secure, they aren't very big, and it doesn't matter if you lose access to them.

20Mb/s max theoretical. With a 250GB monthly bandwidth cap. That's at BEST 2.5MB/s, or 1/10th USB 2.0 speeds, and in reality you never get what they claim your speed is.

18. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Or in the case where they are big, but you won't mind waiting around for storage or retrieval (archival-type data). Or if you wanted offsite backups in case you lose access to the local copies (fire, theft, other miscellaneous disasters). A reasonably high degree of security can also be accomplished, if desired, through local encryption prior to transferring to the cloud.

But for TiVo transfers, I agree with the crowd: local storage would be preferable for virtually all situations. Maybe if you're a college student sitting on a really fat pipe with no caps, not much space in your dorm room for extra devices, not much cash, and way too much free time :)

19. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I consider it one - among many. It's one reason I do not use TDT.

Between a network share and a locally attached drive? There are quite a few. Among other things, with a Windows machine, the network share is not defined until one logs in, and one user's share may not be the same as another on the same machine. Linux does not suffer from this particular limitation, but then there is no Linux port of TDT... which is another reason I don't use TDT.

I don't take your meaning, here.

Do yourself a favor. Dump TDT.

20. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    'Must have been very early. I've tried them all for quite some years, now.

Not with any version I have ever tried, and I have tried quite a few.

'Not that I have been able to get to work. Indeed, I was told one could it could be made to work by editing the registry and inputting a network resource directly, but I have never bothered to try.

I used to be with one who did (Time Warner), but I switched. 'Not that it made any difference, in that realm. I circumvented the issue when I was with TWC. Now it is a moot point.