1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Slingbox player/client to connect to TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by scole250, Jul 3, 2013.

1. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    I have a Premiere and record in HD. I want to use a Slingbox to access my Premiere over the internet and watch TV/recordings on another TV. What is the best player/client for this? An android phone, tablet, laptop, another Slingbox? I don't really want to tie up my laptop while watching TV (someone else may want to watch TV, but I need the laptop).

2. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    Any opinions on the WD TV Live, Netgear NEO TV or Boxee Slingplayer apps? How the UI and remote function?

3. bhs00

bhs00 New Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I use the sling player app on my boxee box and use my iphone as a Tivo remote. Theres some delay but everything looks great

4. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    WD TV Live Slingplayer app is not up to par in my opinion. Remote operation is horrible. No remote graphic, a long delay on every button operation, no Tivo button (must navigate to MISC menu and select "Custom 16", REALLY, REALLY!). WD TV Live getting returned. Chrome plug-in works great.

5. Televisionary

Televisionary Member

Oct 24, 2000
    New...
    Unfortunately, according to the Sling site, the Boxee isn't available any more. There is the "Sony Internet Player with Google TV" too.

I would also be interested in community opinions on a good box for watching TiVo over the internet via a SlingBox. Using a laptop connected to a TV just isn't convenient.

Thanks!

6. Minollo

Minollo New Member

Oct 8, 2003
    I fully agree; it's almost unbelievable they find the remote operation acceptable enough to release it to public...

The alternative I found, which works well for me, is to configure my home router to forward traffic on 31339 to my Tivo, and just use a network remote, like Peanut on iPhone or iPad to control the Tivo. You still have to account for a lag caused by the 2-3 seconds of buffering that Slingbox introduces, but the interface is good and the behavior is predictable and stable.

7. jeremy3721

jeremy3721 Active Member

Feb 16, 2002
    Androzani
    I finally upraded from my Slingplayer classis to a Slingbox Solo via a woot sale this past week. Hooked it up tonight and everything seems to be working well on my PC or the ipad app along with my directv setup. Ordered a $5 dongle that will allow me to use component cables to connect to my directTV receiver to broadcast HD which think might really make this a great deal for $50. I'm happy just with the composite cable setup I have going now.